An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmel Question

oftheholyface

I feel the same way you do, but with a different community. I am also worried that I will not be accepted because I had anxiety issues in the past that I take medication for still. You addressed this for your situation, but I talked to a sister from the community (it's an contemplative-active one, where your Carmel sounds more totally contemplative) I'm drawn to and she said it's unrealistic to expect someone to be completely medication-free. After all, there are sisters within her community who are on medication for their diabetes, thyroid problems, or maybe even anxiety and it would be unfair to totally disqualify someone for something they are taking care of through medication. As long as you are stable with no symptoms and have been for a while, you don't have anything to worry about. For some cases, like mine, you could still be on your parents' insurance until you're in your mid-twenties, so your medication costs would be minimal. The community I'm drawn to has healthcare and education apostolates, so I'm assuming (of course I could be totally wrong, feel free to correct me) the community has a connection to a hospital through which anything that has to do with medication could be managed.