An Old School Catholic Message Board

Introducing... Yet Another Crazy Discerning Person

AbigailGermaine

AbigailGermaine

Thought I'd chime in here.... :wave:

I've been stalking the phorum for a couple of weeks and finally caved in and joined the fun.

I'm an 18 year old, on my way into the RC Church from conservative Lutheranism. (LCMS)

My Dad has always loved retreating at Gethsemane and New Melleray Abbeys (Trappist) and I've admired the religious life from a distance for a long time. I was actually in communication with the SOL about a year and a half ago, trying to convince them to let a Lutheran into their ranks. They sweetly told me that I needed to find my way into the Catholic church first. And then I basically got mad and stormed off..... ;)

This year, in the wake of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation, I un-reformed. Through reading Scott Hahn, the Suprised by Truth Series and about another couple hundred books, I read my way home and into the arms of the Catholic church. LOrd willing, I will be Catholic this upcoming Easter Vigil. Until then, I'm attending daily mass, and reading, and.... ok, I'm a bookworm. Mostly reading all the catholic books at the library.

And then one day Dad sweetly said "You know, if you're becoming Catholic, you can be a nun."

Hey wait! He's right!

So now I have joined the ranks of the crazy faithful. I'm signed up for the retreat at DSMME and I'm not patiently waiting for Nashville to respond to my email. :nun3:

And I'm going to be hanging out here a lot.

So, here's to a introdution that somehow ended up longer than I planned. ;)

That's wonderful but you do realize most communities make you wait 2 years or more after becoming a Catholic before they will allow you to enter.  You probably already know this but I wouldn't want you to be disappointed if you planned on immediate entrance.

The SOLs also have their own little extra rule (in the past, though it could well have changed), whereby you need to be 3 years confirmed before entering. That's fine though, you're still young and have loads to time to discern and see how it all plays out by visiting different communities and seeing if it's a true desire of God! 

I'm so glad you "read" your way in; that's a beautiful testimony to our skilled writers of Catholicism! Also a sign that you probably won't have problems in a convent/monastery with lectio or study if that is truly God's call for you. 

The SOLs probably don't focus as much on study as the Dominicans do, so maybe that's a part of your attraction. You mention you dad and his love of the Trappists, so contactingg Mt St Mary's Abbey in MA (Wrentham) could be a great place to begin. They would probably recommend you wait a while seeing as you're young and just into Catholicism, but they would give sensible and earthy advice to any discerner who knocked (or emailed for that matter!). Even if you have no Trappistine desire, it could be a nice place to see the reality of monastic life on a monastic experience weekend, or to get more exposure to women religious. 

You mention "storming off" regarding the SOLs and I understand the impatience at not being able to enter! But you gotta keep your cool! Discernment is full of highs and lows and coming to a decision is tough. There'll be so many people along the way you might want to tell where to go, but really and hopefully, they will just be trying to help you find your way. Sorry- don't mean to sound pretentious, but if I had started discerning a few years ago, I would've lost my cool many, many times! So make sure you're ready to jump in, and listen to God in all things :)

..x

AbigailGermaine

Fully aware that I'll have to wait awhile.... I totally understand why, although sometimes I feel like all you Catholics want me to do is wait! :) Wait for Communion, wait to enter, all this waiting! I am not a patient person.... Although, all truth be told, that's probably why I'm suddenly having to do all this waiting. (deep sigh)

The main thing that attracts me to the Dominicans is their focus on study and teaching. Having done a lot of Religious instruction in the Lutheran Church and tutoring some middle schoolers off and on, I know that teaching is both something I enjoy and something I can do.

The main reason that I had an attraction to the SOL was because I was volunteering at a ministry in the inner city that did a lot of the same kinds of things that the SOL do... but it was run by a bunch of Non-denom women, and I could clearly see the need for the volunteers to have the liturgy and community to hold them up. Having done that for two years, though, I'm not sure I want to do it forever... it's much needed, but my heart is too big and soft. I tend to get too attached to everyone... I just want to lock everyone up in a room and keep them safe forever!

I like your idea, Lou, about talking to Mt St Mary. See, this is why I joined here, so that I can get other people's fabulous advice!

(Pauses, tries to walk slower. Fails. Tries again.... :))

TheresaThoma

Yay another convert discerner. I'm a convert as well (entered the Church in 2011)and discerning. 

Definitely don't get discouraged if communities ask you to wait a bit. It can be frustrating at times but taking the extra time to spiritually mature is very much worth it. I'm not exactly naturally patient either but it has been a learning curve for me.

Welcome to the Phatmass family.

I will pray for you as you journey into the Church and your continued discernment.    :nun3::nun3:

AbigailGermaine

Hey look! I'm not the only convert on here! (fist bump)

22 hours ago, NadaTeTurbe said:

Welcome !

Are you named Germaine her for St Germaine Cousin :) ?

Yes... She's a saint I learned about because of an old painting I found at the Catholic Charity thrift store that I spent a long time trying to identify.... finally decided it was St Germaine Cousin. I have since gotten very attached to St Germaine. I'm just happy someone else knows about her... every time I bring her up, someone says "Who?"

All prayers are appreciated! Many thanks!

(Tries to walk slow again. Stumbles. Tries again...... :))

NadaTeTurbe
On 5/23/2018 at 5:16 PM, AbigailGermaine said:

Hey look! I'm not the only convert on here! (fist bump)

Yes... She's a saint I learned about because of an old painting I found at the Catholic Charity thrift store that I spent a long time trying to identify.... finally decided it was St Germaine Cousin. I have since gotten very attached to St Germaine. I'm just happy someone else knows about her... every time I bring her up, someone says "Who?"

All prayers are appreciated! Many thanks!

(Tries to walk slow again. Stumbles. Tries again...... :))

I'm from Toulouse, France. Sainte Germaine was from Pibrac, wich isn't far from my home, so she is a dear friend of mine... Always looking at me from the stained glass in my little parish church, I did my first communion retreat at Pibrac... I love her. So happy to meet a non-Toulouse person who knows her !

NadaTeTurbe

I don't want to brag but we're also two hours aways from Lourdes and the city where Saint Dominic founded the first dominican convent (this one being next to my university) !
More seriously, I'll remember to take and share picture of Pibrac and Germaine's body when I go back there (I'm in Ireland rn)