An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Facebook Post I Made About School And Guns

Facebook post: If I was a kid in school right now I would stop going. If I had kids they would be removed asap and homeschooled. A lot of adults (not all) care more about guns than they do children. You don't need a diploma to make it in life and earn money. I know the purpose of school is for more than that. Although at this point it's not worth it. Nothing is done to keep these kids safe. And then you have adults mocking and ridiculing them when they try to fight for a change and protect their fellow peers.

Reply from friend: The trouble with homeschooling is individuals grow up lacking reasonable social skills and emotional security, similar to those who don't complete school.

My reply: Better than being shot at school.

Friends reply: I agree and believe we need competent people there to shoot the shooters, regardless of age, sex and creed.

My reply: Doesn't happen though so that's why my kids would be removed from school asap.

Friends reply: I suppose it depends on available regional resources, but luckily here we have had deputies on hand during instances of threat...but, if they didn't, my students would be armed for their own protection.

My reply: If I had kids I wouldn't feel right sending them there when this happens over and over with no change or anything to prevent it from happening again. The fact that you would feel it necessary to have your kids armed at school is the reason I wouldn't have my kids in school with the current state of things. Not debating your stance on arming your 7 to 18 y/o kids with guns to feel safe at school but I would rather them not even go. Until it can be demonstrated that this isn't going to happen every other month or however often it is.

Friends reply: 11-18 and I can't argue with that either, but kids need school, so they don't grow up thinking they can act like ******** and other people will just put up with it...it becomes clear when you see how illmannered people's kids act with the others.

My reply: Obviously I have strong views on gun laws just as you do. But I decided not to post about it anymore because people's minds are made up one way or the other so there's no point. And I agree school and education is very important. I'm just saying I couldn't send my kids to school when this is happening as often as it is and nothing is being done. Just thoughts and prayers that do nothing to stop the next school shooting.

2nd Friends reply: Mental health not a gun issue.

My reply: You and I can disagree about guns. It's all good. You're still the man and one of my favorite rappers. You won't change my mind and I know I won't change yours. Blessings.

2nd Friends reply: We can still chat about it... you don't think that where theyre at mentally has something to do with their willingness to shoot people? In NY if we were any more regulated it would result in the gov taking guns.. its hella expensive and extensive to get a permit... they leave that out of almost all convos...

My reply: Defitenly mental health, horrible parenting, no faith in God ect have a ton to do with it. Although in a lot of places it's way to easy and lax to get a gun. And a lot of adults aren't smart enough or mature enough to own them. Leaving them unlocked ect for their kids to get their hands on them. In my opinion the parents/guardians should be charged and held responsible in these cases where the kids got their hands on the parents guns and murdered people.

2nd Friends reply: That last part I agree with... just a matter of how to fix the issue that is problematic.. obviously the overall answer is more God and less of everything else.

Reply from 3rd friend: 7,000 children die each year because of car crashes.... Not every 5 years but each year.

Knives and blunt instruments kill more than firearms every year also. 

This isn't a gun issue where we can just outlaw a type of machine to solve this problem. 

Otherwise the last shooter wouldn't have made the bombs, or had guns since he was a minor, or committed murder since all were illegal.

My reply: Knives and blunt instruments kill more than firearms each year? Or are you just talking about rifles? I googled and what I found was the articles said rifles not all firearms. I didn't propose all firearms be made completely illegal. I said they are far to easy to get in many places and a lot of adults aren't mature enough to have them because their kids get their hands on them and then kill people. In these cases the adults should be held responsible. As far as it not being a gun issue we'll have to agree to disagree. https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5aeb27a9e4b041fd2d23d3f7?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/05/its-the-guns/560771/

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/local/verify/verify-did-mayor-steve-adler-get-the-number-of-children-killed-by-guns-wrong-no-heres-how/269-533702428

3rd friends reply: 

No I meant firearm not rifle, my numbers came from the CDC I'll post them when I get home. 

The reason I say it's not a firearms issue is because removing guns just changes the weapon to knives or trucks. 

The problem is a lack of respect for life and possibly a touch of mental illness. 

Rather than blaming the tool we should be looking at why the person wanted to kill multiple people.

1st Friends reply: Exactly. They either want notoriety or assisted suicide, by cop.

3rd friends reply: 

I cant find the original link to the cdc, so far just others referencing the "7,000 kids are wounded or killed by firearms" study but no link :(

Ill keep digging. In 2015 though it was interesting to note total there were around 150 more firearm related deaths than car crash deaths.

How many of those were police and suicides vs Homicide though. In total there are less than 150 "Mass" shooting related deaths a year.

Edited by Guest

i'm all for more common sense gun control. but it is statistically very rare for a kid to get shot at school. you are probably more likely to die doing all kinds of other things than going to school. schools are one of the safest places there are for kids, statistically. 

Facebook post from friend:

FB_IMG_1527186235153.jpg

My reply: I think with the technology available today if the government wanted to kill us all people owning a bunch of guns is not going to stop it. The technology is to great. I think people should be able to own guns although it should be a very difficult and strenuous process. Also there should be severe consequences for the parents/guardians of minors who get their hands on their firearms and kill people. This seems commonsense to me yet here we are.

Edited by Guest

dominicansoul

Make the schools as secure as they do banks, airports, armored trucks, etc.  There's no way this country will ever confiscate the millions of guns out there from law abiding citizens. 

We are living in the midst of the Culture of Death, started by godless people, infiltrated our education system, our churches, our own families.  

the root of the problem is people do not respect life, they've grown up with believing if someone is not wanted, exterminate them.  

I grew up in hickville Texas where every boy had a rifle hanging in his truck window.  Those guns didn't shoot anybody back then.  Why are they shooting people now?  

While I agree with tighter restrictions and more accountability for gun ownership, I do not think guns are the reason people shoot up schools. Blaming guns for school shootings is doing harm by taking attention away from the underlying reason why these people are shooting up schools. Mental instability, immorality and the systematic devaluation of human life.

Facebook post from friend: Another school shooting today and at a middle school!! Why aren't parents doing a better job of securing their weapons? The shooters parents need to be held accountable yo.