An Old School Catholic Message Board

Archbishop found Guilty - Will stand aside

BarbTherese

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/students-sent-home-with-letter-from-convicted-archbishop-philip-wilson/news-story/2f4a528fc2c139ef36b93424b0388a73

The above does show a copy of the letter sent out to parents through their school children.   Apparently those who are unhappy about the letter have been vocal.  I think the Archbishop probably had to be careful about the wording because he has pleaded innocent and continues to maintain his innocence and as yet no decision re an appeal has been made public - it remains to be seen.  

I do think too that whether innocent or guilty it is rightful that he asks us to continue to pray for him.  It is rightful to ask and it is rightful that we should pray for him and all, innocent or guilty.

We don't know what was behind the letter and legal advice may have advised that he not mention his case nor the situation generally re abuse in The Church pending a decision re an appeal.  Alternatively and on the other hand, the letter might show insensitivity re these horrible abuse cases.  I don't think that we have the right to judge, nor can we.  We are commanded not to judge. That is one situation where adult education in The Faith is terribly lacking and Catholics are not walking the walk.

My concern too is that quite a few Catholic parents apparently think that we should not pray for Archbishop Wilson.  Every Sunday at Mass we pray the Pater Noster and ask that The Lord "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us".  And this is what gets to me again that adult education in the Faith is terribly lacking..........terribly.

We talk the talk, but do we walk the walk and if we don't walk the walk then all the talking in the world is not going to convince anyone.

0528mars-FrPhilipMarshall-TheSouthernCro

Vicar General, Fr Philip Marshall,

to oversee diocese after Archbishop Wilson steps down

Related media coverage at conclusion of above article.

Archbishop Philip Wilson is the highest ranking Catholic Church official to be convicted in relation to cover up of child abuse crimes.  He will be sentenced on 19th June with a 2 year maximum jail sentence a potential.

• 1 month later...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-03/who-is-archbishop-philip-wilson/9883638

Excerpt only: "Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson has been sentenced to 12 months' detention for concealing child sexual abuse.

Here's a look at how the man once known as the "Healing Bishop" rose through the ranks, and what his sentencing means as the most senior Catholic convicted of covering up abuse."

Archbishop Wilson has not resigned but stepped down from his duties as Archbishop of Adelaide pending his appeal against his conviction.  If his appeal is unsuccessful, he has stated that he will offer his resignation to the Vatican.

https://www.news.com.au/national/courts-law/archbishop-to-appeal-child-sex-coverup-conviction/news-story/636ec3b2750eba75dbb31befbbdbcc33

Excerpt Only:  "Wilson has issued a statement saying he is exercising his right to appeal and will stand aside from his duties while that appeal proceeds.

“I am conscious of calls for me to resign and gave taken them, very seriously,” he said in the statement.

“I do not intend to resign at this time. However if I am unsuccessful in my appeal, I will immediately offer my resignation to the Holy See.”

Pressure has been mounting on the 67-year-old to resign and on the Catholic Church to sack him following his sentencing in Newcastle District Court on Tuesday.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Labor leader Bill Shorten have called for Wilson to quit, given the outcome of the case.

The Archbishop was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment with a six month non-parole period but will continue on bail while he is assessed for home detention.

He is the most senior Catholic official in the world to be charged with the offence."

Deceased James Patrick Fletcher - serial poedaphile priest

Ash Wednesday

The people we absolutely loathe and are the most scorned are the ones especially in need of prayer.  I guess people have this odd idea that praying for someone is a gesture of affection or approval. It's not hard to love and pray for the people we admire and care for. Like Jesus said, even the pagans can do that. 

I will pray for everyone involved. I found out recently that one of the priests from my parish growing up had been sent away for treatment as a sex offender and was eventually defrocked. The details are a bit vague but I remember at the time being told that he was treated for "alcoholism" -- I suppose that's also possible, but finding out the whole story was pretty horrifying.

Your post (second para) was saddening, but I agree with your comments about praying for victims and the perpetrators in your first para.

• 2 weeks later...