An Old School Catholic Message Board

Has anyone ever done a Hip Hop Mass?

Guest Karl

Guest Karl

Ever done a Hip Hop Mass following the regular order of Mass, but where all of the music is Hip Hop tied to the readings and season?Has anyone

I think a hip hop show after mass outside of the sanctuary is fine. Like, in the cafeteria or gym. Inside the sanctuary? Nope.

Also, Phatmass is strongly opposed to using any form of hip-hop in the liturgy as it contains no sacred character and does not properly create an atmosphere of reverence conducive to prayer.

20 hours ago, dUSt said:

Also, Phatmass is strongly opposed to using any form of hip-hop in the liturgy as it contains no sacred character and does not properly create an atmosphere of reverence conducive to prayer.

I'm not advocating hip-hop in the liturgy but what do you mean when you say it has no sacred character? I'm not arguing or saying I disagree/agree I'm just not sure what that means.

As far as not creating an atmosphere of reverence conductive to prayer I'm not sure if you can paint all hip-hop with that broad of a stroke. There's some very reverent introspretive material out there.

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 4:19 PM, Josh said:

I'm not advocating hip-hop in the liturgy but what do you mean when you say it has no sacred character?

Sacred character is opposite of secular character--meaning, it has the ability to get your mind away from secular things, and instead, be submissive to Godly things.

It's like so many things in society when people say the church is wrong (contraception, abortion, immigration, etc). They say the church needs to "get with the times" and change to catch up to the modern world. No. The church does NOT need to be submissive to the world. The world needs to be submissive to the will of God.

We must transform ourselves to God, not transform God to ourselves. 

On 6/14/2018 at 10:55 AM, dUSt said:

Sacred character is opposite of secular character--meaning, it has the ability to get your mind away from secular things, and instead, be submissive to Godly things.

It's like so many things in society when people say the church is wrong (contraception, abortion, immigration, etc). They say the church needs to "get with the times" and change to catch up to the modern world. No. The church does NOT need to be submissive to the world. The world needs to be submissive to the will of God.

We must transform ourselves to God, not transform God to ourselves. 

Word. Just to add to that,  entering into the Holy Mass involves exiting the things of the world that we are always surrounded by. It's not about what we want or do, it's about what God wants to do to us.