An Old School Catholic Message Board

Re. Hip Hop Mass

Karl

Phatmass, I respectfully disagree with your assertion that Hip Hop, as a genre of music,  is not appropriate for the sanctuary. It was not all that long ago that Gospel music, in the African-American tradition, was considered inappropriate for Catholic Masses. Today Gospel Masses and Gospel choirs are accepted, and now fairly common. I have sung in a few, myself, and have even had the privilege of attending a Mariachi Mass which was both lively and spirit-filled. I believe that it is not the musical style that determines the appropriateness or liturgical correctness, but rather the content. Nothing makes me sadder than to attend a Mass in which young people are not engaged, or worse, not present at all. The Lord commissioned His disciples, us, to go forth and spread the Good News! He sent His Holy Spirit to give us all of the tools that we need to do so. I believe that Hip Hop is one of those tools that holds great promise for evangelizing young people, the present AND future of the Church, and would challenge all in the Catholic Hip Hop Community to develop Hip Hop that is liturgically correct and appropriate for use in the context of Liturgy, while maintaining the same energy and realness! Nothing is too hard for our God so, prayerfully, I am confident that it can be done!!

Edited by Karl
I wanted to add something.

• 2 weeks later...