An Old School Catholic Message Board

St Scholastica Priory

AbigailGermaine

AbigailGermaine

Was looking at their site yesterday.... See it here...

Wondered if anyone has experience with them... I thought they looked interesting, plus they are one of the few Benedictine priories/convents that I've seen that still wear traditional habits and have had a few young vocations recently.....

truthfinder

There are quite a few Benedictine communities which are still wearing the traditional habit and have had vocations: St. Walburga's in Colorado, IHM Westfield (a solesmes community) had a few final professions in the last few years, St. Cecilia's on the Isle of Wight also many young vocations. I know there are many more, but these jump to my thoughts immediately. 

I was there for the personal silent retreat on 4/27 - 5/3, loved it very much.  They are very disciplined and their Gregorian chant is so beautiful perfect healing music.

I wish I were in their required range age to discern my vocation there :(

One of my daughters went on a discernment retreat, loved the sisters and the experience but realized she didn't have a vocation.  The nun in charge was wonderful in helping her to discern. I stayed in their guest house about a year later and met with the sisters during a private, silent retreat. They are lovely, holy nuns.

The sister in the white  veil on their cover photo, has a black veil now and in their latest newsletter I noticed a postulant and two novices.  They are a healthy, growing order.

Edited by andibc

• 3 weeks later...

I visited them last summer for a couple of days. I loved their prayer, it was so beautiful in Latin. And they were very sweet, and I even got to have the main meal in silence with the Sisters while there was the table reading. I realized that I am not called to the vocation as a cloistered nun, but they seem to be a beautiful community. They currently have three novices and a couple of temporary professed sisters.

Edited by LilFlwr