An Old School Catholic Message Board

Favorite saint and why?

28yrolddiscerner

St Therese of Lisieux is sometimes known as the saint of an ordinary life lived extraordinarily.   That tells me that a quite ordinary life can be lived in an extraordinary manner and even aspire to sanctity and holiness.  For me, St Therese is an amazing saint. In her monastic life, she did nothing outstanding other than interiorly - she sought actively to be in the background unremarked and unnoticed.  That was so successful that after her death, her fellow sisters needed a short biography to highlight her outstanding virtues for distribution to other Carmels.  They felt that they had nothing at all they could write about.

The secret of her life was to do all things for Love.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

gabrielofsorrows

Gabriel of our lady of sorrows. I would say he lived a wordly life before mary got a hold of his heart. He dated girls. He was the life at the party. To me he truly loved jesus and the blessed mother with all of his heart. He was devoted to the sorrows of mary which is a humbling devotion. It truly humbles the heart in thinking how much she suffered. I have many favorites but i would have to say he is first on my list. I think most of the saints who lived a worldly life and fell in love with christ are the most devoted saints. I do admire the saints who from when they were small were devoted to jesus though. My second would be maximillian kolbe. 

all the saints who did miracles. i sorta feel like a d-bag for expecting them to perform them to be included in my list, instead of say being really holy.... but that's just the way i roll