An Old School Catholic Message Board

What training do I need to become a DRE?

28yrolddiscerner

28yrolddiscerner

Hi guys!

im wondering what kind of training I need to become a Director of Religious Ed in a Catholic Church’s ccd program?

im also considering teaching religion in a Catholic school. I have a Bachelors in Philosophy and Religion but it’s from a secular school.  What kind of degree would I need?

Also, for those of you who work in these fields, what are the pros and cons of the work.  I’ve written to a community of teaching nuns, but they haven’t gotten back to me...

ty!

Sponsa-Christi

The usual qualification is a Master's degree in Catholic theology, religious education, or a related field. However, this isn't an absolutely strict requirement everywhere. Many dioceses have something like catechist certification programs, and often they'll let people who have completed these serve as DREs. In some cases, a bachelor's degree in a pertinent subject will also be acceptable.

Basically, it all boils down to whoever the local pastor decides to hire. 

If you're interested in being a DRE, your local diocesan catechetical office should be able to give you some insight as to what they normally look for. 

I was a DRE for a few years, and honestly I loved the work. But it can be frustrating and stressful. Right now I work as a canon lawyer and judge in a marriage tribunal, and my current job is (believe it or not!) so much less stressful than my DRE jobs that there's almost no comparison.

tinytherese

I don't recommend either career because there are few jobs available in religious education. I unfortunately know this from personal experience. That's one of the reasons that I didn't go into the field professionally.

Another reason is because I got nervous about possibly working at a liberal parish. I didn't want to have to put up with teaching one thing while the priest or other significant people did the opposite. Years ago, a priest was assigned to my parish who didn't preach what the Church taught and refused to stop committing liturgical abuses such as having lay people give the homily. I switched parishes and wrote to the archbishop about what was going on who responded that he'd handle it. Unfortunately, he's still the same. I've noticed the negative affect he's had on people too.

I also just didn't have the temperament for being a catechist whether in a Catholic school, parish, or diocese. I'd have to recruit volunteers, do a lot of social interaction, and minister to people pastorally. I've learned that listening to and encountering people who've lived through horrible events is too heart-breaking for me to handle. I'm quiet, shy, and too much social interaction exhausts me. A few years ago I was diagnosed with autism. I get so caught up in details that I get overwhelmed and tired. I might honestly have OCD. 

In the job adds I've seen listed online, you need a BA in Theology or Religious Education. You'll be more likely to get either job if you have experience teaching in a religious setting.

During college I volunteered to help teach CCD for 3rd and 4th graders with 2 other women. The year after that I assisted teaching RCIA. My internship before my senior year was teaching 7th and 8th graders by myself for 3 weeks at a summer school camp at a parish. Absolutely take a class in classroom management. I wish I had done that before that situation. 

Definitely talk to people who have the kind of jobs that you want and ask them what they do and don't like about their career. 

If you still want to do it though, Franciscan University of Steubenville has an online MA in Catechetics and Evangelization.  https://www.franciscan.edu/graduate-catechetics/

Catholic Distance University has continuing education certificates in catechesis that can be done completely online as well as masters programs in theology. https://cdu.edu/continuing-education-certificates/ 

CatherineM

If it’s a poor inner city parish, you would probably be overqualified. If you don’t need an income, look there. 

The St Pete, Florida Diocese is committing to a massive expansion of their Religious Education and youth programs, including building another elementary school.  The new Bishop just announced their three year plan   Hiring would be at both local parishes and Diocesan levels.

The qualifications would vary, as well as pay.