An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mortal sin?

28yrolddiscerner

It used to be that people who committed suicide were not given church funerals, nor could they be buried in "hallowed ground" - that is, Catholic cemeteries. It was considered a mortal sin, and since a person can't go to confession after committing suicide, the assumption was that the person had died in a state of mortal sin. 

The current approach is more nuanced; the cause is often considered. If the person who commits suicide was known to have mental health struggles -depression, schizophrenia, other recognized conditions - they now have a Catholic funeral and are buried in a Catholic cemetery. The assumption is that they were not in full control of their own thoughts or emotions, so they can't be held responsible for their actions. 

On the other hand, if I go on a shooting rampage, and I commit suicide just before the police apprehend me, I don't know if I'd be given a Catholic funeral and burial or not - you'd have to talk to someone with more pastoral expertise than I have. 

CatherineM

We have legal assisted suicide here in Canada. The Bishops have said clearly that those of sound mind, which you’re supposed to legally have in order to use MAID, can’t have funeral masses. Other than that, we presuppose that those who have lost hope to the point of suicide probably have some kind of mental illness, and the the judgement up to God.