An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trump's Supreme Court pick: Brett Kavanaugh. Practicing Catholic.

dUSt

Ash Wednesday
20 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

I guess I'm a little surprised you feel this way, in that you seem please he was confirmed. I'm not sure exactly why.

I've not been paying attention to much of this fiasco, due to work and my nana being in hospice, but I've heard from folks that I trust that Kavanaugh acted like a jack-hole or something unbecoming of a judge. Also that he appeared to be lying about little things (like drinking in high school, which he probably did). I really don't care if he drank in high school, I'd care if he's lying about it though.

He just seems like a dingus

Do you folks really think Dr. Ford is lying? Again, I haven't been following so Idk.

One time my priest and I were recollecting an event related to my wedding, and we completely disagreed on what actually happened. I know I wouldn't have lied about what I thought happened, and I know he wouldn't either. But one of us was mistaken. So with that in mind, I can weigh the possibility that someone is mistaken without calling them a liar. 

What I do know is that I could not be convinced for sure that Kavanaugh was the one who attacked her, and what I saw was not an unhinged judicial candidate at the testimony, but someone vehemently protesting his innocence. I certainly do not expect anyone to just sit there without emotion if they not only insist on their own innocence but also just had their life and the lives of their family viciously attacked and just about destroyed. I remembered Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill from the early 90s, and that was high tea at the Ritz Carlton compared to this. 

I don't even know if I particularly have much of a favorable opinion about Kavanaugh as a person, and I don't think either political party comes out of this looking honorable, but I do find his judicial record favorable to my interests and I will not buy into this emotional mob mentality largely driven by the left about this, certainly not the people that saw it suitable to threaten to kill the man, draw crude cartoons about his family, send pictures of beheadings to senators not voting their way, or celebrate the fact that they ruined his life. For what? Sexual assault victims? No. They looked the other way at whatever Bill Clinton allegedly did. They told us that his personal life didn't matter back in the day and they even saw it fit to nominate his wife for president -- you know, the one who told Bill's accusers to go jump in a lake. Let's be real, this is all about the right to kill an unborn child, regardless of whether or Kavanaugh would actually do anything about it, I don't know, but that's what the hysterics are really about. So people can just save their time and spare me the bull**** narrative, I'm not buying it. At the very least, letting that kind of behavior be the law of the land is something I do not think is right.

Senator Collins' statement pretty much summed up how I felt about the whole thing when she gave her deciding vote. I certainly don't agree with her pro-choice stance, but all the same it lends me to believe that she weighed everything to the best of her ability and still wanted to be fair. It's inconvenient to have to honor presumption of innocence when it's someone we don't like or is on trial in the court of public opinion, but the alternative is worse.

People can take it or leave it, I really don't care. What I think doesn't actually matter at the end of the day and people who disagree and saw things differently can be thankful I'm not casting any votes in congress, but I'm done here. Engaging in uncharitable attacks on Kavanaugh (or even Ford, in fairness) won't make anyone's arguments any more convincing -- certainly not to me, and I'm not going to take part in that. I've said my peace on the matter and I'm not entering into this discussion with anyone further.

On 10/9/2018 at 2:29 PM, Ash Wednesday said:

One time my priest and I were recollecting an event related to my wedding, and we completely disagreed on what actually happened. I know I wouldn't have lied about what I thought happened, and I know he wouldn't either. But one of us was mistaken. So with that in mind, I can weigh the possibility that someone is mistaken without calling them a liar. 

What I do know is that I could not be convinced for sure that Kavanaugh was the one who attacked her, and what I saw was not an unhinged judicial candidate at the testimony, but someone vehemently protesting his innocence. I certainly do not expect anyone to just sit there without emotion if they not only insist on their own innocence but also just had their life and the lives of their family viciously attacked and just about destroyed. I remembered Clarence Thomas/Anita Hill from the early 90s, and that was high tea at the Ritz Carlton compared to this. 

I don't even know if I particularly have much of a favorable opinion about Kavanaugh as a person, and I don't think either political party comes out of this looking honorable, but I do find his judicial record favorable to my interests and I will not buy into this emotional mob mentality largely driven by the left about this, certainly not the people that saw it suitable to threaten to kill the man, draw crude cartoons about his family, send pictures of beheadings to senators not voting their way, or celebrate the fact that they ruined his life. For what? Sexual assault victims? No. They looked the other way at whatever Bill Clinton allegedly did. They told us that his personal life didn't matter back in the day and they even saw it fit to nominate his wife for president -- you know, the one who told Bill's accusers to go jump in a lake. Let's be real, this is all about the right to kill an unborn child, regardless of whether or Kavanaugh would actually do anything about it, I don't know, but that's what the hysterics are really about. So people can just save their time and spare me the bull**** narrative, I'm not buying it. At the very least, letting that kind of behavior be the law of the land is something I do not think is right.

Senator Collins' statement pretty much summed up how I felt about the whole thing when she gave her deciding vote. I certainly don't agree with her pro-choice stance, but all the same it lends me to believe that she weighed everything to the best of her ability and still wanted to be fair. It's inconvenient to have to honor presumption of innocence when it's someone we don't like or is on trial in the court of public opinion, but the alternative is worse.

People can take it or leave it, I really don't care. What I think doesn't actually matter at the end of the day and people who disagree and saw things differently can be thankful I'm not casting any votes in congress, but I'm done here. Engaging in uncharitable attacks on Kavanaugh (or even Ford, in fairness) won't make anyone's arguments any more convincing -- certainly not to me, and I'm not going to take part in that. I've said my peace on the matter and I'm not entering into this discussion with anyone further.

I hope I didn't come off as rude earlier. I was just genuinely curious as to why you felt that way. You're a poster who I generally vibe with and respect so I just wanted to know your thoughts about it a little bit more. And I really haven't been paying close attention to the issue at all.

I know tone is lost on the internet, so just to be clear, I've got nothing but respect for you. I just wanted to know what you thought.

• 3 weeks later...
Ash Wednesday

It's a very serious matter to accuse someone of committing a grave sin or crime. If someone lies when making a claim against someone they know is innocent, they put their own soul at risk of eternal damnation. That's going to come across as pretty harsh to ears not used to hearing it but people don't seem to take that fact all that seriously and it gets overlooked quite easily. Imagine how politics would be if people maintained an awareness of this? People seem to feel they can just say whatever they want for the sake of "winning" and doing damage to the other side. They don't take the words and dirt they throw around as seriously as they should.

Google the Grassley report.   It appears that another man came forward and said the encounter with Ford was him.  He had knowledge of details not published.  

Others also came forward and identified a fraternity member of Kavanaugh who was a wild drunk.  

It appears this may have been a case of mistaken identity.  Something happened to Ford,but it was not Kavanaugh, but someone associated with him.  

How would you feel if you were Kavanaugh or Ford and got embroiled in this public argument with committed opinions based on little fact.    I feel sorry for them both.