An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is anyone a third order laity?

gabrielofsorrows

gabrielofsorrows

Please do share your experience as third order laity or oblate... Etc.. I would love to hear feedback because im praying for gods will if he wants me to join a third order. I think i know where he is leading me and when i know for sure, i will add that on here, as which charism the lord is leading me to  ( please for respect of privacy for all of us on here) do not mention exactly where you go. As you dont really know who is behind the computer. But please do share which charism that the lord has chosen for you. Franciscan, benedictine, carmelite...etc. I thought i was called to a certain one as laity but i think the lord wants me to one of them instead of the one i had in mind... Lol.. God does write straight with crooked lines and has a sense of humor, thats for sure.

genesisweavers

Peace to you my brother - I am a lay associate of the Monastic Family of Bethlehem.  I love being associated with this congregation.  And because their charism is to embrace a life mainly in solitude I feel like it's easy for me to follow since I am also in solitude for my prayer and spiritual reading.  I am very grateful for this charism.  

gabrielofsorrows

Thanks for your reply brother. Thats great you found where the lord has called you. Thanks so much for sharing. Best always! 

• 5 weeks later...

One of my friends (married for forty years, adult children) became an oblate at Alton Abbey, perhaps ten years ago. He'd always been very devout, and he and his wife were involved in church-related activities. I gather he benefited a good deal from the spiritual direction he received. It did not entail any major modifications in the rest of his life. (I think Benedictine oblates determine a particular 'rule of life,' in dialogue with a spiritual director or abbot, but I believe it is structured around the circumstances of their lives. He still has the same work, family involvement, travel, and social life as he and his wife had in the past.) 

I am a member of the secular Carmelites.  I was in two Franciscan communities before this.  I was a Franciscan teaching sister for 9 years and I was a poor clare colletine PCC.

As a lay person I needed some type of religious commitment, so I checked out the third order.  My life  is still the same, except for the commitment of prayer.  And I have a community of like-minded people again.