An Old School Catholic Message Board

should i present myself to catholic eucharist?

Guest Mattius

Guest Mattius

i grew up catholic, but currently lean towards the pope not being infallible.

i would call myself eastern orthodox, but i believe the pope is still the head of the church, so both churches are not right in my mind. i'm someone who is either behind the times, given there was once a catholic / orthodox union, or ahead of the times, given even pope benedict said there could be union with orthodox even if they did not explicitly submit to the pope as infallible (as long as they didn't explicilty reject it). it seems to be a technicality that i am simply where i am given church leaders can't agree on anything, yet i could be in the right mind were they to get together somehow.  the closest denomination to the way i think are the 'old catholics', which i like them because they have formidable reasons for what they think. i don't like the idea of a 'liberal catholic' only because the name implies someone who is so open minded their brain has fallen out, or they think the way they do for no good reason. 

i'm reminded of the mass instruction to the orthodox. they are permitted to receive the eucharist from catholics, even though their church usually tells them not to. i am sort of orthodox, so could that rule apply to me? and what if i joined the 'old catholic church'? the catholic church teaches they have valid apostolic succession, and are in many ways simiilar to the orthodox. there may be a rule old catholic on whether they can partake or not, and i just dont know about it. or, what if i didn't join the orthodox or old catholic church and stay in no man's land? i had an old priest who was a canon lawyer, who told me  i could partake given i didn't reject the catholics and was discerning. but that was a long time ago when i was college age. i'm basically not outgrowing that mindset, ever, it looks like. i would just ask that priest again as i trusted his judgment, but has passed away. 
I could ask a priest but i'd feel like i'm beholden to whoever i happen to talk to and not a firm truth.

words of wisdom?

If you had first communion as a baptized Catholic, go to confession and ask the priest if you should receive. If you never went through first communion, then you shouldn’t receive.