An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Church's Former Public Face On Sex Abuse Crisis Faces Decades Of Misconduct

As my Dad often said, it’s a shame that Christ had to leave his perfect Church in the hands of imperfect people, but that was his only choice. 

Saint Lemon

In any organization, where there is money and power, things get bad. Having been in the dark woods of getting accountability for the abuse of over 100 women, all I can say is that all that matters is money. That was not what Jesus was about, nor is it true of every Catholic, but an organization as large and powerful as the Catholic is run by imperfect people who, with access to money and power, have the consequences  of their imperfections, explode and damage many. 

Ash Wednesday

I never was a fan of McCarrick before news of this evil and filth even came out. He was the one who concealed and downplayed Rome's insistence that pro-abortion politicians be denied Holy Communion when Benedict XVI was pope. The Church has its own swamp that needs to be drained. 

And it sure would be nice if the media found a different voice besides Father Martin. But I realize that's probably asking too much.

I was at the consistory in Rome in 2001 when Archbishop McCarrick was made a Cardinal. There were grave concerns THEN, from numerous people who would know, regarding him being elevated to Cardinal, due to longstanding credible accusations against him.

This was prior to the huge sex abuse scandal breaking in the USA in 2002, and yet many were vocal about him even prior to that.

I have been waiting for this story to hit the fan for more than 17 years. It is absolutely reprehensible that it has taken this long to gain traction. A whole lot of people KNEW, at the turn of the century, what was going on. And there's no way certain secular powers were not complicit in covering for him. I think because he's on the right side of certain more progressive issues, he was not held accountable for a very long time.

• 3 weeks later...