An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgy Question

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

I also asked this question in Phatmass Q & A:

From our newsletter:

This year, July 22 falls on a Sunday and with the approval of............. the Apostolic Administrator of the Archdiocese, all parishes will celebrate the feast of Mary Magdalene, apostle, rather than the 16th Sunday of Ordinary Time.

I didn't think the Sunday celebration of The Resurrection could be overrided by a Memorial? - although perhaps it can with the authority of the bishop or the Apostolic Administrator of an Archdiocese?

Edited by BarbaraTherese

truthfinder

It can be a bit odd to transfer a memorial to a sunday. A couple potential reasons: 1. if it a patronal feast of the diocese or church, it could be transferred because essentially becomes a solemnity.  2. My local bishop often transfers the feast of OL of Mt. Carmel to the nearest Sunday at the local Carmel for pilgrims (but the nuns still celebrate the actual feast on the day itself - basically functioning what would be in the EF, an 'external' solemnity.)

If it's not for one of these reasons, it does seem a little weird, but it's also weird for a bishop or administrator to willy nilly transfer a memorial. 

Thank you very much for your reply, truthfinder.

Nne of your reasons apply, TF.

Usually, if a feast, memorial or optional memorial falls on a Sunday, then the Sunday takes precedence.  This year the Memorial of St Mary Magdalene is on the Sunday 22nd July and our (bishop) Apostolic Administrator for the diocese (replacing our Archbishop Wilson -  temporarily we think) has advised the parishes that the celebration of the Memorial of St Mary Magdalen is to take place on Sunday 22nd July.  In my memory, that has never been done in the diocese i.e. a feast, memorial or optional memorial overriding the Sunday celebration of The Resurrection.

Has me mystified and a bit concerned about the future authortiy in my diocese if Archbishop Wilson does not return i.e. can I be confident if AW is replaced that the replacement will be faithful to Rome in all aspects including liturgy and the above might give me some sort of indication.

Hope that all makes sense.

truthfinder

Hi Barb,

I was looking into it a bit more and the feast of St Mary Magdalene was upgraded to a feast in 2o16. So it’s not an optional memorial. I would suspect that in a normal occurrence it would be transferred to an available week-day. But the general instruction says the following: “For the pastoral advantage of the people, it is permissible to observe on the Sundays in Ordinary Time those celebrations that fall during the week and have special appeal to the devotion of the faithful, provided the celebrations take precedence over these Sundays in the Table of Liturgical Days.”

Now because it’s a Sunday in ordinary time, a feast can out-rank the Sunday. (These calculations, I find are easier in the EF because it’s just easier when everything comes labelled first class, second class, etc). So the bishop is well-within his rights and power to do this. And honestly, this ones really fitting, as the Magdalene points out the Risen Christ. 

Thank you, @truthfinder.    It is good to know that the diocese will probably be in good hands loyal to Rome. 

I missed the important connection between Mary Magdalene and the Resurrection until it was pointed out.:|  A  most fitting celebration for a Sunday as you pointed out. :)