An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reasons I Never Shower

Luigi

I lifted this poster from Fr. Nick Monco, OP. He attributes it to an Irish priest. Below the poster are Fr. Nick's further reasons for not showering. 

Nicholas Monco My additions:
11. I can get clean in my own way without water. 
12. There is a remote tribe in the Amazon that never showers. Are you calling them unclean?!? That is so close-minded. 
13. I don't like being reminded of the fact that I'm dirty.
14. Showering was invented by the patriarchy to keep the lower classes down.
15. When I have children I'll start showering. 
16. God doesn't care if I shower. 
17. An employee at the soap factory got sexually harassed and that's when I stopped showering.
18. Showering may have made sense went it was first invented but this is the 21st century and the soap company needs to get with the times.
19. There was this other shower in the last place I lived in that I really liked but the ones I've gone to here here just don't do it for me.
20. I know I should shower but soccer practice is always scheduled during the best times for me to go.

- There's sexual abusers in the showers and the owners of the showers do nothing to get rid of them and go as far to cover for them and even make them a Cardinal of the showers who then has a major voice in the strategy to prevent future sexual abusers in the showers...

You know, the world is full of people who have sexual problems - some of them have severe problems. I've seen some of them on the public transportation system in my area, and in the Boy Scouts, and in the public schools, and in the showers at the public swimming pools in my metropolitan area. Because where the kids are, that's where the perverts are going to go. Just like robbers rob banks because that's where the money is.

I still go swimming. But I'm careful.

Edited by Luigi

I go to Mass. I guarantee a lot of people don't though because of this. People knew inside the Church this Bishop McCarrick was a sexual abuser and yet he was still made a Cardinal. And was the main voice and public persona for the Church in leading the way to prevent sexual abuse from happening in the future. It's odd this isn't even listed on the list you provided. The closest it comes to it is "sexual harassment". In light of all the abuse in the past and now this Cardinal cover-up I think the list is a joke that it doesn't mention it. Reality is no matter how truthful Catholicism is people are turned off from it because of this and I don't blame them. It has pushed me towards the edge myself.

7 hours ago, Luigi said:

You know, the world is full of people who have sexual problems - some of them have severe problems. 

It's not about sexual problems. I have sexual problems. It's about the continued never-ending cover-up and protection of these sexual abusers. It should be zero tolerance. Once and you're not a Priest/Bishop/Cardinal. You get forgiveness in Confession but you're not in Ministry anymore. You don't become Cardinal and become the face and voice for how to prevent future sexual abuse. 

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, Josh said:

I go to Mass. I guarantee a lot of people don't though because of this. People knew inside the Church this Bishop McCarrick was a sexual abuser and yet he was still made a Cardinal. And was the main voice and public persona for the Church in leading the way to prevent sexual abuse from happening in the future. It's odd this isn't even listed on the list you provided. The closest it comes to it is "sexual harassment". In light of all the abuse in the past and now this Cardinal cover-up I think the list is a joke that it doesn't mention it. Reality is no matter how truthful Catholicism is people are turned off from it because of this and I don't blame them. It has pushed me towards the edge myself.

It's not about sexual problems. I have sexual problems. It's about the continued never-ending cover-up and protection of these sexual abusers. It should be zero tolerance. Once and you're not a Priest/Bishop/Cardinal. You get forgiveness in Confession but you're not in Ministry anymore. You don't become Cardinal and become the face and voice for how to prevent future sexual abuse. 

Yes, sir. I'm sorry for posting it. I apologize that it doesn't address your issue. I was wrong to do it. I won't do it again.

Post whatever you like. I'm just stating the fact the list is disingenuous when 24 reasons are listed and not one of them has to do with one of the most obvious reasons why people don't go to Mass. 

Ash Wednesday

I think the overall message that the priest was trying to convey is that the mass is important and juxtaposing it with the everyday that we also consider important. 

The sexual abuse crisis is a very grave scandal, indeed, to my own horror I found out recently that one of them was my own parish priest when I was a child. However -- keep in mind, that it was placed in a bulletin that families, including young children, are going to read, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he did not feel that it would have been appropriate to include it in a family friendly bulletin. Given that it has been a grave situation in Ireland, I wouldn't be surprised if the priest has also fielded grievances about this and had to answer for the sins of his brothers, along with many other grave offences or abuse committed by nuns and clergy -- such as administrative, corporal or emotional abuse. However, I can understand why a priest may not have felt the average take-home bulletin was an appropriate place to discuss that.  At the end of the day, the sacraments are not removed by the sins of the Church, and it does not diminish the soul's need for them.

11 hours ago, Ash Wednesday said:

At the end of the day, the sacraments are not removed by the sins of the Church, and it does not diminish the soul's need for them.

Agreed. The list just strikes me as a "Haha gotcha sinner" type of message. Then avoids one of the most obvious reasons for people not going to Mass. Sorta almost like throwing stones in a glass house. I'm extremely sinful. I'm grateful beyond measure for Confession. And when I go to a random Church and a random Priest and he hears my Confession I walk out of there 99% of the time very thankful for the Priest and his humble advice and for absolving my sins. On the other hand I don't trust the hierarchy of the Church. There are many deserving of trust so it's not an attack on all of them. But the crisis has been so extreme and never-ending to the point I'm kind of shocked. From learning what this Pope and past Popes knew and them doing nothing to stop it and helping to cover it up. As well as Bishops and Cardinals. It's pretty extreme. I think people become numb to it and lose touch how non Catholics or non practicing Catholics view all of this. I'm aware there's a lot of people who don't go to Mass for reasons on the list. Although there are a large number who don't go because of the scandal this has caused. Which they are wrong for not going. They're missing out on an infinite amount of grace. I literally sit in the back pew at every Mass and don't interact much at all. I'm there at Mass strictly because I know how much grace is being poured out on me for being there and being fully aware when I am in a state of grace I can receive the literal flesh and blood of Jesus Christ. The same with Confession. I go to different Churches almost every time. It's an infinite amount of grace being poured out on me and I can stay anonymous and not feel shamed. So no scandal will ever stop me from practicing the faith. Yet I'm fully aware that to a lot of people the handling of all this and the extent to how prevalent it has been causes them to view things in an extremely negative light. To the point they would rather join a different Church or stay at home.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Australia with people I have come across, most are leaving The Church due to the sexual abuse crisis.  What this reveals is a failure of education in The Faith.  The faith of many are in the human institution of The Church, not in Jesus who said "the gates of Hell shall not prevail" (Matthew Ch16)....and...........

"Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. 6 Woe to the world because of things that cause sin! Such things must come, but woe to the one through whom they come!" (Matthew Ch18)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Ash Wednesday locked and unlocked this topic