An Old School Catholic Message Board

PCPAs in Arizona

Kateri89

I know the OLAM community has been struggling with vocations, but does anyone know how the Desert Nuns are faring?  When they set up their monastery in 2006 they had five nuns and I’m curious how many there are now.

What happened to the PCPA Texas community?

(If you doesn't keep up with the comings and goings, it's easy to lose track.)

truthfinder
1 hour ago, nikita92 said:

What happened to the PCPA Texas community?

(If you doesn't keep up with the comings and goings, it's easy to lose track.)

They were recently transferred back to OLAM.  I believe there were only 2 sisters at the end, both of whom were externs (hardly the making of a cloistered community).  There was also a significant power struggle between the bishop of the diocese they were geographically located in, and the parish with they were associated (which I believe just transferred over to the Ordinariate).  

The idea of creating this Monastery and church in the middle of nowhere, really never made sense to me, mostly for practical reasons. It's a hefty drive for the elderly, and the heat is not easily tolerated. Middle aged folks have jobs and families who are busy. Making an "outing" of it, when there is no option for lunch or refreshment, little option for visiting with the Sisters following Mass isn't really an option either.  One has to really love the desert, to want to enter a very small enclosed community, which has not been able to attract vocations for over 10 years.

The other issue I have is building a huge monastery for 4 nuns, with little hope of many vocations. Where is the money supposed to come from?  There is really no "local" church community.  They have very few sisters in the original Alabama community, which, without Mother Angelica, has lost it's luster. Very difficult to have "Perpetual Adoration"  with so few. Just my opinion.

What an absolute mess. There's a reason prudence is a virtue, not only generally speaking but especially in religious life.

Here is the cached post from the priest at the Texas parish, concerning the PCPAs returning to their original diocese. Evidently he later deleted it. 

Apparently all the parishioners wanted to talk to Church Militant and other such bastions of journalistic integrity. Sounds like a nightmare of a situation.

Not that the PCPAs really need any more nightmares. I imagine it's probably a good thing that they're returning to Hanceville, given the significant decrease in numbers in the OLAM community. Good luck to them all; they'll need it.

A gentle reminder that the purpose of Vocation Station is to foster religious vocations, not to act as a fan site or a general discussion forum about religious communities. It's one thing if someone who feels drawn to Poor Clare life comes here and wants to ask specific questions about the PCPAs, which others then answer based on their first-hand knowledge. But that isn't happening here, and talking about a community's problems without that kind of purpose can very easily tip into gossip, even if that's not the intention. Please bear this in mind.

• beatitude locked this topic