An Old School Catholic Message Board

Woke

18 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

I saw someone post here that they are pro-life, and that includes anti-death penalty.  I'd just like to say I'm pro death penalty for the same reason, because I'm pro life, and I support anything that defends the life of another.

Cafeteria Catholic And Proud I See.

Hna.Caridad

:hijack:

Bringing it back...

Josh, are you familiar with Jasiri X?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtH7vH4yRcY

On 8/3/2018 at 12:32 AM, fides' Jack said:

There won't be any rap or hip-hop in heaven.  Nor any rock, for that matter. 

I saw someone post here that they are pro-life, and that includes anti-death penalty.  I'd just like to say I'm pro death penalty for the same reason, because I'm pro life, and I support anything that defends the life of another.

The death penalty defends the life of another? How so? Also--shouldn't the life of the criminal be defended as well? 

Hip-hop and rock are not intrinsically asinine forms of music... 

fides' Jack
On 8/3/2018 at 5:26 PM, Josh said:

Cafeteria Catholic And Proud I See.

Cafeteria Catholic, I am not.  If ever I reject an opinion of a member of the Church over me, it is only due to serious thought, and religious instruction from other members of the Church over me.  Cafeteria Catholics don't use official Church teaching as a basis of their lack of faith.  That's the whole point.

On 8/3/2018 at 5:38 AM, Josh said:

You know this how?

From the common sense God gave me.  There is nothing in heaven that is distasteful to anyone.  

There are forms of music that are timeless.  Rap and hip-hop are not.

On 8/4/2018 at 8:50 PM, Seven77 said:

The death penalty defends the life of another? How so? Also--shouldn't the life of the criminal be defended as well? 

Hip-hop and rock are not intrinsically asinine forms of music... 

That's your opinion, not mine.

As for the death penalty, currently the Catechism states that in extreme cases when it is necessary to protect the life of another, the death penalty is justified.  It is not yet changed.  I'm all for protecting life, even in extreme cases.

Edited by fides' Jack

1 hour ago, fides' Jack said:

From the common sense God gave me.  There is nothing in heaven that is distasteful to anyone.  

There are forms of music that are timeless.  Rap and hip-hop are not.

From the commonsense God gave you? The same commonsense you're using to reject teachings in the Catechism? Hmm your commonsense seems a little suspect and I'm not 100% confident it's being entirely fueled by God.

And you're the authority on what kind of music is timeless? Rap and Hip-Hop are not because you say so? And the fact that you make a blanket statement and categorize it all as distasteful says a lot about you. Since there's songs that literally praise God and the Church like the music produced by Phatmass and @dUSt.

Again I'm not confident this "commonsense" you speak of is being fueled entirely by God. Something else is very likely in play. Go ahead and continue defending slavery and making statements that you know there is no hip-hop in heaven because all of it is distasteful. It shows the type of person you're clearly for everyone to see. Luckily for you you're in good company at least at this website.

Edited by Guest

I dont like hip hop music but then I don't understand it nor the culture that has produced it, but then I am 73yrs of age and am merely repeating my parents attitude about rock and roll and my tastes in my teens and the culture.  And the hip hop generation will probably repeat the attitude for their children and their children's particular taste in music and their culture.

What will be our tastes in Heaven I have no idea whatsoever:  "Rather, as it is written: “- No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no heart has imagined, what God has prepared for those who love Him.”  (1 Corinthians Ch2)  

Edited by BarbaraTherese