An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rcia

Brother Adam

In my RCIA class we were taught that Reconciliation is optional, contraception is "misunderstood" (The Church doesn't forbid it, well, its not that big of a deal), and that Catholicism is no different, or more true than any other faith, its just the faith that seems right for you. These were all taught by a sweet nun who recently celebrated her 50th year of religious life. The priests who taught guest lectures were better.

I would tell Bro Adam to be very cautious. Thankfully I did a lot of outside reading.

peace..

Remember my experiences too. I posted once that I was taught that contraception isn't as bad as the Church says it is, that the Church ought to allow divorced and remarried people (no annulment) to receive Holy Communion, and that if one has committed mortal sin, then it's OK to receive Communion if you're unable to get to confession first.

So Brother Adam, please be careful. The last thing any of us wants is to see someone turned off to the Church by false teaching.

Please understand,

I'm not attacking my friend (I won't even mention her name), but am going after why she doesn't know any better- is it really her fault? My guess is from watching her life, probably not. You yourselves admit that there are some really bad Catholic teachers- perhaps even flat out false teachers in the Catholic Church.

I am still extremely weary of Catholicism. But as scriptures tell us- test everything. And while I see echos of Catholicism possibly being a cult, I'm dismissing it as prejudgement.

Perhaps it will take me years, decades for God to show me what he wants me to ultimately know about Catholicism. We'll see.

God bless you all for your encouragement.

Brother Adam

Our RCIA class was pretty bad so we met privately with a priest at a different parish (our current parish). We were privately received (as opposed to at the Easter Vigil) and so still need to be Confirmed. We're joining the adult Sacramental Prep class this fall so that we can finally be Confirmed.

--Jessica

What does scare me is that I just might actually be smarter than this layperson. I really don't want someone who isn't smarter than me when it comes to Catholic doctrine. That would ruin any reason of me going to the class.

What does scare me is that I just might actually be smarter than this layperson. I really don't want someone who isn't smarter than me when it comes to Catholic doctrine. That would ruin any reason of me going to the class.

They have a set of objectives that they need to meet. Go in with an open heart...

And pray alot.

Check this out...

http://www.ecatholic2000.com/rcia/rcia.shtml

Now, if some of the links do not come up, put an 's' in the " .html " at the end of it... i.e. ' .shtml '

Here is an outline of what you will cover:

http://www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/RCIA.TXT

As for saying you think we could be a cult... if that is true, better throw away your bible because it would be worthless.

-ironmonk

That would ruin any reason of me going to the class.

A bit selfish if you ask me...

Maybe God has placed you in this class to teach the teacher. It wouldn't be the first time. Remember young Jesus umong the elders?

No prob...

You are destined for great things my friend.  Great things.

I don't know about that, but if I am it won't be in my current job- my hours were just changed to 4:30PM to 3:00 AM. BLAH!

As for saying you think we could be a cult... if that is true, better throw away your bible because it would be worthless.

Not true at all.

Adam,

With what I've seen of your posts here and how you've grown in your faith, I think you are probably right. You might be smarter than the lay person. B)

That doesn't mean you know everything she does. ;)

Consider that Grace has put her in a position to be the RCIA instructor. Just as likely it is that you may be smarter, it is just as likely God wants to use her to be a channel of His Grace. Be open to that, and be open to how God may possibly lead you to help her as well. (At the least, God may be teaching you some humility!! :rolleyes: )

jas

You guys are reading into my posts what isn't there. You're taking my "might be smarter" for pride, which it isn't.

And yes, I'm saying that even if the Catholic chuch is a cult, our Bibles are worth something. Peter had to be rebuked several times and denied our Lord several times, yet still had an amazing ministry. I also haven't said that the Catholic Church has always been a cult, or that is even one today.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

I don't know about that, but if I am it won't be in my current job- my hours were just changed to 4:30PM to 3:00 AM. BLAH!

:( I don't want to miss my husband for over ten hours!!! :(