An Old School Catholic Message Board

More Than 300 Predator Priests In Pennsylvania Protected By Catholic Church

dominicansoul

People leaving over the sins of a few men and the failure of other men in authority...  Where will they go?  Sexual deviancy pervades every single institution in our society.  Other churchs have this problem. Will they give up church altogether?  And when something horrible happens then, is their shaky faith going to make them agnostics and atheists?  

The Church has nothing to apologize for.  The GUILTY are the ones who need to apologize, step down, get the hell out and put into prison for their sexual crimes.  Punish them!!! The prison system will take care of them.  

Defrock and strip from positions those who were compliant with these crimes...

My coworkers act like I’m guilty of these crimes.  I don’t have to apologize I didn’t do anything wrong.  I’ve been a devout Catholic and continue to be one.   The Church remains unblemished and holy.  The church has always been filled with sinners... 

Ironically, people  who are leaving might wind up in the same place in the afterlife as these sexual deviants... the net of scandal always catches tons of souls along with it... 

Stay strong, pray, sacrifice and offer up hardships for priests and for the Church.  Satan never sleeps...

52 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

People leaving over the sins of a few men and the failure of other men in authority...  Where will they go?  Sexual deviancy pervades every single institution in our society.  Other churchs have this problem. Will they give up church altogether?  And when something horrible happens then, is their shaky faith going to make them agnostics and atheists?  

The Church has nothing to apologize for.  The GUILTY are the ones who need to apologize, step down, get the hell out and put into prison for their sexual crimes.  Punish them!!! The prison system will take care of them.  

Defrock and strip from positions those who were compliant with these crimes...

My coworkers act like I’m guilty of these crimes.  I don’t have to apologize I didn’t do anything wrong.  I’ve been a devout Catholic and continue to be one.   The Church remains unblemished and holy.  The church has always been filled with sinners... 

Ironically, people  who are leaving might wind up in the same place in the afterlife as these sexual deviants... the net of scandal always catches tons of souls along with it... 

Stay strong, pray, sacrifice and offer up hardships for priests and for the Church.  Satan never sleeps...

To be fair it's not the sins of a few men but sins of hundreds of identified men and likely many more as investigations begin in dioceses all over.  This is precisely why I find myself in such a quandary.  I'm not sure about everyone else.  I feel like there is absolutely nowhere to turn to at this point.  Who can we trust?  I'm sure that there are good, holy priests but how can we tell the good from the bad?  You're right that there is sin and sexual deviancy everywhere.  That is why I'm struggling with feeling stranded without any lifeline.  If there has been any silver lining in this horrible mess, it's that I've realized that God is quite literally the only one I can cling to.  By His grace, so many verses from Scripture have been rushing back to me.  Most especially the end of chapter 6 of the Gospel of John.

John 6:64-71 

"But there are some of you who do not believe."  Jesus knew from the beginning the ones who would not believe and the one who would betray Him.  And he said, "For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by my Father."  As a result of this, many of His disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied Him.  Jesus then said to the Twelve, "Do you also want to leave?"  Simon Peter answered Him, "Master, to whom shall we go?  You have the words of eternal life.  We have come to believe and are convinced that You are the Holy One of God."  Jesus answered them, "Did I not choose you twelve?  Yet is not one of you a devil?"  He was referring to Judas, son of Simon the Iscariot; it was he who would betray Him, one of the Twelve.

Edited by Kateri89

dominicansoul

300 priests over a span of 70 years... only two are being prosecuted...

or did I miss something?  

aren’t most of the perps dead? 

How old were some of these cases?  

Didn’t it also come to light that most of what the church has put into place to fix this mess, is actually working?  

I’ll be making some changes in my day to day.  I’m going to try to go to mass and make a holy hour everyday to pray for protection against the evil that has infiltrated the church, pray to restore faith to the doubting, for all the victims and to spiritually help our innocent priests.  In light of all that has happened the innocent priests are taking a lot of the backlash... 

8 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

300 priests over a span of 70 years... only two are being prosecuted...

or did I miss something?  

That's correct and that is only in one state in this country.  Only two are being prosecuted due to the statue of limitations and the fact that I believe over 100 of them are dead.  We know that the Boston sexual abuse crisis was the watershed moment in the Church or at least I thought it was until this past week.  Imagine how many more accused priests will be uncovered around the country if each one has it's own Grand Jury investigation?  I know that there is an abuse crisis in Chile and of course the McCarrick fiasco which has been playing out for weeks.  I've read reports of his inappropriate sexual conduct in Newark as well as other priests there.  If 300 priests in one state isn't a lot, I don't know what number will suffice as "a lot".  Not to mention that though there were 300 priests, over 1,000 children were abused.  That's massive if you ask me.

dominicansoul

At the same time, let’s not forget the thousands of priests over the 70 year period that were good, holy and faithful.  I’m thinking mainly of the ratio.  300 to the vast # of thousands of holy priests ...

...But if only one priest is guilty of such crimes... well even one is too much... so...

i also think this is much bigger than Boston,  seeing how many more in authority have been complicit to these crimes.  I’m even wondering if the church should revoke the sainthood of Pope John Paul II, seeing he raised some of these guilty men to the cardinalship...

its ugly, but I have no doubt the Church will fix this...maybe we won’t see that in our lifetimes, because the world has become such a place as sexual deviancy = good while being against sexual deviancy = bad.  Bishop Merlino of Wisconsin had a lot to say about this in his response to the abuse.  http://m.ncregister.com/daily-news/bishop-morlino-homosexual-subculture-is-a-source-of-devastation-in-the-chur#.W3pO1qROmaM

It was just a few years ago “Catholics” were demanding his resignation just because he continued to preach against homosexual acts.  You see...there are a lot of catholics complicit with this behavior... some didn’t even think allowing gay marriage was a big deal... all must be weeded out and our church needs to be cleansed.  

EC46C246-5D0C-48CF-8989-DEE0D4EB5DE2.jpeg

20 hours ago, Kateri89 said:

That's correct and that is only in one state in this country.  Only two are being prosecuted due to the statue of limitations and the fact that I believe over 100 of them are dead.  We know that the Boston sexual abuse crisis was the watershed moment in the Church or at least I thought it was until this past week.  Imagine how many more accused priests will be uncovered around the country if each one has it's own Grand Jury investigation?  I know that there is an abuse crisis in Chile and of course the McCarrick fiasco which has been playing out for weeks.  I've read reports of his inappropriate sexual conduct in Newark as well as other priests there.  If 300 priests in one state isn't a lot, I don't know what number will suffice as "a lot".  Not to mention that though there were 300 priests, over 1,000 children were abused.  That's massive if you ask me.

300 priests were accused. We do not know how many of those accusations are credible. The point of the grand jury investigation was politics and to shame, of course. It's not as though the PA Attorney General opened this investigation in order to determine actual guilt or innocence, or to prevent the current and future sexual abuse of minors. You have to be realistic about that. If this were not about politics and shaming case he would expanded this grand jury investigation to include the public schools and many other institutions.

On 8/19/2018 at 8:58 PM, Josh said:

Father - I don’t say this to you, in criticism or to cause bad feelings here, but I’m now as of this week no longer a Catholic. I have slowly lost faith over the past 20 years in the institution for every one of these atrocious stories that have come out. It is a complete violation of everything the teachings ought to be. The institution has completely failed — even to the point of callous negligence and worse causing intentional harm! Oddly, my parish admin wrote an email to me and said, “we are updating our records to be sure you are in our parish...” I wrote back, “With the news from Pennsylvania today, I am no longer a part of the Parrish, I am no longer a Catholic.” It was hard to type those words, but it was absolutely the least I could do to honor the victims. Being a Catholic has been part of my identity and 16 years of my parochial education from 1st grade through my catholic college, in our marriage and baptism of our children..., but I ended all of that with one email with conviction and clarity. The Catholic Church will only begin to change when it starts to feel the financial loss and empty pews... - Heather Dority

Well, either that or she had already left the Church for some other reasons, and is using the scandal to justify what she already wanted to do. People are bad, and you can just as easily use the same justification to cease being Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Atheist, or whatever.

11 hours ago, Peace said:

300 priests were accused. We do not know how many of those accusations are credible. The point of the grand jury investigation was politics and to shame, of course. It's not as though the PA Attorney General opened this investigation in order to determine actual guilt or innocence, or to prevent the current and future sexual abuse of minors. You have to be realistic about that. If this were not about politics and shaming case he would expanded this grand jury investigation to include the public schools and many other institutions.

What do the motivations matter?  I don’t care if this was entirely political or some personal vendetta.  The archives exist, they weren’t fabricated.  I’ve written a personal letter to Bishop Zubik detailing why I feel he should resign and one of the reasons is that these archives were sitting there for decades and would have remained there if not for the subpoena by the Grand Jury.

If this were not about politics and shaming case he would expanded this grand jury investigation to include the public schools and many other institutions.

Except for the fact that public schools and other institutions were outside the scope of the investigation of the Church covering up the sexual abuse of minors for decades and that public schools don't claim a divine mandate from God to be able to change people's lives and help them strive towards Heaven.  The John Jay Report, commissioned by the USCCB did already look at public schools and a handful of other organizations, however, it did not take into account the cases we've discovered here, and might be lurking in archives around the nation.  Because, the Church was still covering up the crimes committed by some of its members, while commissioning a report at the time, that would try to assuage people's fears about the Church covering up crimes. 

dominicansoul

For all those struggling with their Faith...it’s not you that needs to leave.....it’s these cardinals and bishops and perps that need to leave... 

the Church is not just some institution created by cardinals and bishops and popes...it’s supernatural...  The vessel in which the Almighty God feeds his sheep with the very Flesh and Blood of his Son.  Let’s not be too hasty with our souls.  The rot needs to be cleared from the church, not you.  Stay and fight for Her!  

43 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

For all those struggling with their Faith...it’s not you that needs to leave.....it’s these cardinals and bishops and perps that need to leave... 

the Church is not just some institution created by cardinals and bishops and popes...it’s supernatural...  The vessel in which the Almighty God feeds his sheep with the very Flesh and Blood of his Son.  Let’s not be too hasty with our souls.  The rot needs to be cleared from the church, not you.  Stay and fight for Her!  

Thanks for saying this, please keep us in your prayers and I’ll do the same for you.  Never thought I’d struggle this much with my faith but fellow laity are making up for the sins of the clergy.

https://www.wkbw.com/longform/7-i-team-buffalo-bishop-malone-returned-priest-to-ministry-after-allegations-involving-a-child

l surely hope that everyone who is sharing the “good news” about how the Dallas Charter means there has been zero tolerance since 2002 is going to be comfortable standing  in front of the kids who got abused in the 2010s by priests like this one or the one in Seattle who was “removed from ministry” in 2000, and tell them that their abuse never happened because it was “all in the 70s and 80s”.   We all realize it’s going to be another 10 -20 years before this abuse starts being reported right?  STOP SAYING THE ABUSE IS ALL IN THE PAST.  It does not get reported in real time.   Stop taking about the magical Dallas Charter.  It’s bunk.  Do l sound angry?  l am angry. - Nan Houston

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeakPhillips/status/1032713320762146816

BREAKING: Archbishop Carlson has invited Mo Attorney General to review files "for purpose of making an independent determination our handling of allegations of clergy sexual abuse in the Archdiocese of St. Louis.@AGJoshHawley now briefing media on conference call.

This could get interesting, given that Burke was there 2004-2008.  

- Mark Shea 

Edited by Guest