An Old School Catholic Message Board

More Than 300 Predator Priests In Pennsylvania Protected By Catholic Church

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

The Priest's who did these things are horrible. But whats even more messed up is the cover-up up of it. Protecting these men to try to present some image so the Church could appear perfect to everyone and tell people how awful they are. And it goes all the way up to Cardinals and Popes. McCarrick being in charge of the sexual abuse stuff when hes an abuser himself. And people high up knowing including the Vatican and nothing was done and he was promoted and put in charge of keeping kids and teens safe. The Vatican won't even release a comment. This is not okay. At some point enough is enough. It's too extreme. There are tons of non Catholics who love God and Jesus and go to Church ect Catholics think they are so much better than there "seperated brethren" and everyone is so deprived who isn't Catholic. Look at what the Vaticam spoke person just said about the Pope doesn't have to follow the tradition or the Bible. It's crazy. My faith is in God and Jesus. Where I decide to go to Church and worship is up to me. Right now it's at a Catholic Church but if next week it isn't them that will be a choice I decide to make.

You are right to be upset. This scandal is extreme and it is definitely not ok. We all have the right to We all have the right to be upset and angry. But let's do something constructive with our anger. And, of course other Christians can be better Christians than a whole lot of Catholics. So follow their example. If they knew what we had as Catholics, they would be coming in droves. Why don't you be the light that helps them out?  Don't be afraid. I believe you. You have a good heart brother.

Ash Wednesday
10 minutes ago, Josh said:

You're not rotten at all lol But I don't know how you're praying for me and how God will answer your prayers. And the Rosary is powerful. So it's kinda scary sometimes when people say they will "pray" for you. 

Well, I don't know or at least understand how God answers my prayers most of the time so your guess would be as good as mine. Usually when I say "your intentions" it's just echoing whatever your prayers and concerns are between you and God.

Only reason I brought it up is because I'm doing a rosary novena right now related to the whole dumpster fire that's going on, so if anyone else has any requests just let me know.

Some people are responding with anger, and I don't blame them.

Mostly I just feel a very deep, abiding sadness. 

18 minutes ago, Seven77 said:

You are right to be upset. This scandal is extreme and it is definitely not ok. We all have the right to We all have the right to be upset and angry. But let's do something constructive with our anger. And, of course other Christians can be better Christians than a whole lot of Catholics. So follow their example. If they knew what we had as Catholics, they would be coming in droves. Why don't you be the light that helps them out?  Don't be afraid. I believe you. You have a good heart brother.

I'm not even that upset. I'm just in shock. It's not about Christians being better or whatever and following their example. I'm just saying they gather for worship and preaching and Jesus said with his own words he's in the midst of them. 

Something drastic has to change. Bishops need to go. Celibacy needs to maybe be lifted and allow married men or men free to marry in Seminaries to break up all this homosexual stuff going on. I'm not okay being associated with a Church that is going to continue covering and protecting pedophiles and sexual abusers. I don't want to stop being Catholic. I love Mass. But I'm not okay with this and just going along with it becuase "I have to." It's to extreme.

14 minutes ago, Ash Wednesday said:

Well, I don't know or at least understand how God answers my prayers most of the time so your guess would be as good as mine. Usually when I say "your intentions" it's just echoing whatever your prayers and concerns are between you and God.

Only reason I brought it up is because I'm doing a rosary novena right now related to the whole dumpster fire that's going on, so if anyone else has any requests just let me know.

Some people are responding with anger, and I don't blame them.

Mostly I just feel a very deep, abiding sadness. 

Okay thank you. You can pray for my intentions. Yeah it is sad.

Edited by Guest

There is a why behind it all insofar as the perpetrators are concerned and those who covered up.  That is what needs to be accurately pinpointed and adddressed.    There is a cause or causes and more likely the latter.

As far as the victims are concerned, I think that The Church should be bankrupt and even that would not adequately address any justice for the victims.  How could money every set things straight! The victims must suffer for the rest of their lives having had their childhood stolen from them.  I know with myself that terrible images from the past (not abuse) re-occur at times along with the fear and pain experienced at the time.

I am shocked, sickened, and not at all ok with the scandals originating in truly warped human natures in the leadership of our Church, but I am Catholic because of Jesus and I could not abandon Jesus in The Blessed Eucharist for one.  I can never forget someone very holy I knew who endured a dreadful trauma on every level prior to his death - his words to me were "Jesus is in this somewhere".  And in the Doctrine of Divine Providence, indeed He was and is now.

dominicansoul
14 hours ago, Josh said:

Celibacy needs to maybe be lifted and allow married men or men free to marry in Seminaries to break up all this homosexual stuff going on. 

I always get so annoyed by this argument.  I'm a celibate.  Millions of single devout Catholics are celibate.  We're not raping kids everywhere.   In the majority of cases outside the priesthood, pedophiles are married.  

there has been very few cases of abuse have been identified since 2002, Burke said the grand jury’s findings are consistent with the conclusions of previous studies, which show “that Catholic Church reforms in the United States drastically reduced the incidence of clergy child abuse.”

“The Holy See encourages continued reform and vigilance at all levels of the Catholic Church, to help ensure the protection of minors and vulnerable adults from harm,” Burke said, and stressed the need to comply with the civil law, including requirements for the mandatory reporting of child sexual abuse.

Pope Francis is well aware of how profoundly these crimes can “shake the faith and the spirt of Believers,” he said, and said the pope reiterates his call “to make every effort to create a safe environment for minors and vulnerable adults in the Church and in all of society.”

source: https://cruxnow.com/vatican/2018/08/16/vatican-voices-shame-after-pennsylvania-report-says-pope-is-on-victims-side/

1 hour ago, dominicansoul said:

I always get so annoyed by this argument.  I'm a celibate.  Millions of single devout Catholics are celibate.  We're not raping kids everywhere.   In the majority of cases outside the priesthood, pedophiles are married.  

Most of the cases or a bunch are of gay men hooking up with teenagers. The Priesthood attracts gay men. Look at Cardinal McCarrick and all those like him. They're gay. They're hooking up with teenagers (plus adults) and some boys as well. You say millions of Catholics are celibate. I'm sure these single people fall and get up. Maybe there are a few perfect ones who never fall into sexual immortality but most do. And the ones who go to Confession keep trying to do a decent job. But there are probably very few celibate devout Catholics who never fall into sexual immortality.

Edited by Guest

dominicansoul
3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Most of the cases or a bunch are of gay men hooking up with teenagers. The Priesthood attracts gay men. Look at Cardinal McCarrick and all those like him. They're gay. They're hooking up with men and some boys as well. You say millions of Catholics are celibate. I'm sure these single people fall and get up. Maybe there are a few perfect ones who never fall into sexual immortality but most do. And the ones who go to Confession keep trying to do a decent job. But there are probably very few celibate devout Catholics who never fall into sexual immortality.

CELIBACY DOES NOT CAUSE PEDOPHILIA

That's the point I wanted to make.  

Ash Wednesday

That is true. According to the John-Jay-Report 80.9% of the alleged abuse victims in the United States were male. 8 of 10! 

dominicansoul
49 minutes ago, Josh said:

Right but a ton of the cases have been gay men abusing teenagers. That's a homosexual problem.

Exactly, HOMOSEXUALITY is the problem, not celibacy.  Why should the Church change it's discipline of celibacy in the priesthood?  Why is that always brought up?  Celibacy isn't the problem, homosexuality is, deviant sexual traits are, pedos entering to hide in the priesthood is the problem, not celibacy.    The Church needs to change the rules of allowing gay men in the priesthood.  When this happens, we will see that most of the sexual abuse will end.  The BS of "who am I to judge" needs to stop.  We must judge who is fit to enter the seminary and who is not.  Liberalism/political correctness has no place in the Church.

25 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

Exactly, HOMOSEXUALITY is the problem, not celibacy.  Why should the Church change it's discipline of celibacy in the priesthood?  Why is that always brought up?  

Becuase it would provide more straight men to choose from. I think it's probably out of control how many gay men enter the Priesthood.

Nothing will probably change and this will just keep happening. People like my self who go to Mass every week and on days of Obligation will stop practicing Catholicism though and worship somewhere else. If drastic changes aren't made I'm not comfortable being part of a Church where this is festered and given the vehicle to happen over and over again.

The fact that McCarrick was elevated to Cardinal and was in charge of fixing this and preventing it from happening again while it was known what he was guilty of is something that is honestly giving me serious pause on what to do moving forward.

Edited by Guest

dominicansoul

Josh, I think you would be interested in reading a book titled "Goodbye, Good Men."  You should check it out.  

I don’t think that married priests is the answer.  

Its a matter of the Church authorities allowing morally corrupt behavior.   It could be heterosexual child molestation or other sexual harassment.    

The problem was and is, Church authorities allowing the evil to continue by not punishing the perpetrators.  

dominicansoul
29 minutes ago, Josh said:

Becuase it would provide more straight men to choose from. I think it's probably out of control how many gay men enter the Priesthood.

Nothing will probably change and this will just keep happening. People like my self who go to Mass every week and on days of Obligation will stop practicing Catholicism though and worship somewhere else. If drastic changes aren't made I'm not comfortable being part of a Church where this is festered and given the vehicle to happen over and over again.

The fact that McCarrick was elevated to Cardinal and was in charge of fixing this and preventing it from happening again while it was known what he was guilty of is something that is honestly giving me serious pause on what to do moving forward.

That's what the devil wants, and why he has systematically infiltrated the present day priesthood.  

I think the best thing you can do is not to become a fallen away Catholic at the errors of men, but instead, make yourself a better Catholic, spend more time in prayer, fortify yourself with the graces God wants to shower upon you.  WE are all deflated over this, but the best thing we can do for the Church is to become stronger in Faith.