An Old School Catholic Message Board

Australian Leadership Crisis 23Aug 2018

BarbTherese

We should/could/might/perhaps/maybe:cuss: know around 2pm today 23Aug 2018, the result of the Liberal Leadership (Prime Minister) Crisis.  For any interested, you can watch proceedings in Parliament today live :

https://www.aph.gov.au/News_and_Events/LiveMediaPlayer?vID={977F1694-70EF-48E4-8103-4AB78AC2606A}&type=1

Yesterday and today especially have been an even more remarkable event in Australian politics than we have endured in the past.  Australians are fed up with our political circus and even more fed up with politicians.  My Mum used to say "The country is run by fools and clowns"............not far wrong in my book.

We go to a Federal Election in May 2019............unless an earlier election is called.

Thanks heaps for a prayer.

May The Lord's Will be done.  Amen

The House of Represtentatives has moved for an adjournment of Parliament following a government motion.  The adjournment passed and the House of Reps will not resume for possibly another approx. 2 weeks.  Question Time will now be cancelled.  The Senate will not be adjourned.

Media has stated that the Liberal Party is now in an inner toxic situation of High Noon.

The nation is in a limbo situation - other than what the media might be able to dig out for us from the action behind the scenes...........and that is never 100% reliable in my book and especially now because things are too rapidly changing and unstable.

Rather regular media comment has been that if Peter Dutton is elected our Prime Minister, we will be in a "Donald Trump situation" which I have interpreted personally as a divisive PM rather than one likely to unite Australia.

President Trump has been invited by our PM to visit Australia.  Again, important events(either occuring or potentially occuring) in Australia are  happening at a time of total government instability and crisis - the media has stated.  

The Liberal Party will meet tomorrow (August 24th 2018) at 12noon.  One important item on the agenda will be if Peter Dutton is even eligible to sit in Parliament due to our Constitution and his vested interest in some businesses.  Up in the air what our solicitor general will advise.

There will also be a spill motion to determine if the Liberal Party will vote on a new leader and be our PM.  A couple of members have put forth their name, including apparently our current PM, Malcolm Turnbull.  He has referred to bullies and hijacking without naming names.

Oh dear......... toxicity.........and what next.............it is that the PM has withdrawn his name as a potential if there is a spill.

Pray

Edit: Media comment just now is that we have gone from high drama to extremely high drama in the space of 10 minutes.

Australian politicians :idontknow:

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Even the media is polarised along with legal people commenting on eligibility and our Constitution.  The 12 noon meeting tomorrow (Friday 24th), it is now being said, is not a meeting date and time set in cement.  Some sort of petition is going around the Liberal Party which means members will have to name themselves and their position and forcing members into the open.  Formal Liberal inner voting is usually secret.

While there are serious grievances within the Liberal Party, media undoubtedly has fanned the fires (nothing new) according to their leanings or biases.

I think I am loosing touch with all the twists and turns in our current political journey and crisis as more experts share opinions and conclusions. :mad3:  Labour Party comment, pretty much silent until now, is starting to creep in to further complicate issues for a very ordinary everyday type of Aussie.  Issues are being raised that could even further complicate things.

The general electorate is now beginning to really express their anger.

Time to get into practicalities I think...........lunch and housework.  Ahhh the simple life is for me!

Sometimes I can wonder why I left monastic life, but The Lord does not permit that state for long before those reasons are again crystal clear.  Yep! Time for lunch and housework, simple ordinary everyday tasks.  :dance3:

Friday 24th August 2018:      In what strikes me as a rather shaky and ambiguous statement, our Solicitor General has stated that Peter Dutton is "not incapable" to sit in Parliament.  He did add that the High Court could rule otherwise.  Doubtless, Constitutional Lawyers will be labouring long and hard over our Constitution - and for some time.

Apparently, the 12 noon Liberal ballot to see who will be our Prime Minister will go ahead today, 24th August 2018.

..........."apparently' is a very big word in Australian politics.  Anything can happen.

If we have a new Prime Minister after the 12 noon ballot, it will be our 5th Prime Minister in 5 years.  Comment has been that no matter what is decided in the ballot, instability in the Liberal Party wil continue for quite some time ahead.

We are indeed a weird mob............Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi :drunks:

Not surprising, the situation has gone from a farce to a ridiculous farce.

Our Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull, has just more or less received the petition with sufficient numbers; however he is insisting on verification.............implying there could be dodgy stuff going on.

Our government is now a complete shambles..............complete!  The strong and apparently (that word again) certain rumour is that Mr Turnbull is going to quite Parliament.

No matter who comes out of the Liberal ballot (if indeed it does go ahead!)as our Prime Minister, he (or she? - Julia Bishop) their authority cannot be tested on the floor of the House until September 10th when Parliament resumes.

The ballot Meeting time (at this point!)is being held up due to the signatures on the petition needing to be validated, which is in process............  43 signatories need to be validated.

Spill motion has carried - this is essentially a no confidence vote in Malcolm Turnbull, the Prime Minister.  The 45/40 for the spill motion indicates (said media) that there is serious division in the Liberal Party.  40 Liberal Members voting against a spill is surprising and indicating the serious divide in the Party.

A ballot will now be held to determine who will be our PM - Scott Morrison, Julie Bishop or Peter Dutton all have put their names forward.  Julie Bishop according to media was the first to be eliminated.  This just might indicate that Julie will leave politics...........and a real loss in my book.

SCOTT MORRISON IS OUR NEW PRIME MINISTER  - My second choice over Julie Bishop.

45 Votes Morrison

40 Votes Dutton

Next edition:  Will Malcolm Turnbull resign from Parliament or will he stay to support Scott Morrison, his offsider when Turnbull was our Prime Minister?

Very hard to know, Boss.  I think Malcolm Turnbull was good for Australia.   There was and still could be such a major problem within the Liberal Party that the current unfoldings are good for the Libs in that it does give an opportunity to bring the Party together - from that perspective the unfoldings are good.  But there are numerous perspectives in the situation.  Another perspective is that the unfoldings could be bad for the Liberal Party in our next election because the Australian people are just fed up with political fiascos.

Undoubtedly I think personally that Scott Morrison would make a better PM hands down than Peter Dutton.  It is probable that we will be having a general election soon and what the Australian people will do is anyone's guess.  I do tend to think that a Liberal PM in Scott Morrison will be better for Australia than Labour's Bill Shorten - and I might change my vote from Labour to Liberal and a very big might.  It is Bill Shorten I do not like - I don't trust him.  My political bias however is Labour.

However, it is still very early in the process and I would like to see who Scott Morrison appoints to the various ministries and how things go once Parliament sits again on 10th. September and what unfolds from there.  It depends on whether Scott Morrison can bring unity to the Liberal Party and at this stage it looks like a very difficult job indeed.

As a summary, it is obvious that the Liberal Party was divided almost down the middle and something had to happen.....and there were powerful factions within the Party intent on bring Malcolm Turnbull down and these initiated this latest political fiasco......serious difficulties existed and these might persevere and they may not.

I think Malcolm Turnbull would be a great support for Scott Morrison and Morrison has always been an unflinching Turnbull man all the way.  I don't know as yet whether Turnbull is going to go to the backbench or out of politics altogether.

I guess I am a swinging voter in a still unfolding situation.  I am still to make a firm decision about where my vote will go.

But thanks, Boss, for asking..............all other members' contributions most welcome. :) 

Malcolm Turnbull has tendered his resignation to the Governor General but not as yet resigned from politics, although he is stating that he will be resigning at some point.

Media comment is that Julie Bishop might remain in the Parliament and hopefully in the foreign affairs portfolio.  She has served that position outstandingly well in the past.

Scott Morrison has been sworn in by our GG as our new Prime Minister.  He has a massive job ahead of him.

Parliament will not resume until 10th September.

All the comment I have seen states that Tony Abbott (Liberal) will bear watching.  He outed Julia Gillard and Malcolm Turnbull outed him and now he has his revenge but only in part since Peter Dutton was not elected.  In my estimation Tony Abbott is a nasty, sly bit of goods and is a staunch practising Catholic but certainly not a good advertisement/witness for The Church...........au contraire in fact.