An Old School Catholic Message Board

We Saw Nuns Kill Children: The Ghosts of St. Joseph’s Catholic Orphanage

BuzzFeed is not exactly known to research it's sources as sound sources.  With the advent of the internet, I don't think we can be sure that what we are reading and taking onboard as truth is necessarily so.  I do not believe nor disbelieve what BuzzFeed has reported as murder by religious sisters gleaned from statements by sources (implied always in journalistic practice as having been researched and known to be sound - although nowadays, one cannot hold to that premise either).  

Because there is potential for those with some kinds of grudges against The Church to get on board the abuse crisis with accusations - and not only individuals but media outlets investing in sensationalism as means to attract more and more viewers and thus advertisers and advertising dollars - I think I need to be careful about what I spread abroad.  It seems to be that many are deeply disillusioned about media reports re The Church's latest scandal (abuses) and have either left or thinking of leaving.  Some have lost their Faith altogether.

Romans Ch14 "it is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble"

The above is not to state that we should not know the truth about matters - because we must.  But I do think that we need to be careful about what we 'advertise' as truth without sound knowledge that it is indeed the truth with a caveat, if necessary, with anything I do intend to spread abroad.  Whether I like it or not I am my brother's keeper.  We are all called and vocated to support each other, not be the cause of/trigger for difficulties that are not strictly necessary.  On this too I shall receive judgement.

The above video is only 3.41 mins long.  I think it is an important video especially in the closing comments (from 2.59mins approx) most relevant to we who post on Phatmass.

All about ethical journalism and reporting: http://salve.libguides.com/c.php?g=590921&p=4098864

In my book, Phatmass forums are a form of media in the internet age and we are all a modern day category of  journalists when we post, or at least wisely broadly guided by the ethics of journalism - Phatmass is open to the whole world.   Not only that, as Catholics truth will be ideally vitally important at all times and everywhere since God is Truth; therefore what veers from truth is not of God.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I don’t disbelieve it - at all. Yet it’s so hard to square this testimony with the kind, loving sisters who teach at my daughters catholic school. - Sarah Babbs

I think all this can be explained by a horrific minority being protected by the institution to prevent "scandal." - Curtis Himel

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Horrific-allegations-of-abuse-at-Burlington-orphanage-491829421.html

"Dale described the horrors she says she endured as a child at St. Joseph's Orphanage in Burlington: daily beatings, sexual abuse, being locked in a small container in the attic. They are allegations she made under oath during the 1990s."

These are truly horrific and sickening crimes, Josh.  I do not mean to treat them lightly while you have not proposed that I do.

Excerpt from the article you posted from BuzzFeed:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/christinekenneally/orphanage-death-catholic-abuse-nuns-st-josephs

"The Diocese of Burlington, Vermont Catholic Charities, and the Sisters of Providence, the order of nuns who worked at St. Joseph’s, all chose not to speak with me about these allegations. At the end of my reporting, Monsignor John McDermott, of the Burlington Diocese, provided a brief statement: “Please know that the Diocese of Burlington treats allegations of child abuse seriously and procedures are in place for reporting to the proper authorities. While it cannot alter the past, the Diocese is doing everything it can to ensure children are protected.”

The above is about the only statement the diocese etc. could make since the proposed crimes were committed so long ago.  And the "proper authority" in the above statement is the police - rather than media although today undoubtedly trial is often by media.  Urging a report to "proper authority" is not coverup, nor taking the crimes lightly.  The diocese etc. needs time to do their own researching into validity or lack of it if possible.  Most often possibly, there is no way of confirming other than two or more (better) witnesses unknown to each other and with no other contact whatsoever stating that the same facts had occurred.  Sometimes validity is established by the courts and our legal processes.

There is nothing we can do about what happened so long ago in the past other than to admit offences and crimes that have been validated and to pray and do penance (the whole Universal Church) for survivors, relatives and friends as well as the perpetrators.  Also everything practical possible should be done for the survivors including victim payments.  It must be remembered that there is no human compensation, let alone sum of money, for some crimes.  If there is anything practical that can be done for perpetrators, if they are still surviving, that too should be effected. 

Our hierarchy needs to address too the damage done to us laity out here in the pews as it were - for those who leave The Church and for those who are staying or stumbling with shock.

Personally, I tend to think that because The Church as the human institution is absolutely reeling from shock at what has occurred up to the highest of levels (perhaps we only see the tip of the iceberg) - and I mean the hierarchy of The Church - they have not as yet come to grips with the full horror of what has been done to children.  I also tend to wonder if the fact that our hierarchy is celibate and never raised children from birth to grave, is a factor in them not grasping fully and effectively the horror done to children.  I tend to think their focus due to 'nurture' is more on the horror of those who committed the crimes.  I have no conclusions on the aforementioned, I merely wonder about them.

Oh I do have one personal conclusion and that is at Vatican level their needs to be survivors, laity and married laity with children on any type of committee etc. related to the abuse crisis. and that includes Vatican level committee etc. where the perpetrator is the focus.............and hopefully at Vatican level the tremendous damage done to all of us out here, whether leaving The Church or staying - or just stumbling along and they need to isolate FIRST what exactly that damage is.

A comprehensive address by The Vatican to the crisis has not even begun, is my own opinion.

Edited by BarbaraTherese