An Old School Catholic Message Board

Daring to dream again

Meritt

Hi all, 

I just found his forum. I thought I had been here before but must have gotten this mixed up with another forum. So I am very happy to have found this one! I truly need the support of my global Church family right now. 

I am set to enter Postulancy with the Poor Clares next May. I could not be more joyful about that. I have known since I was a young child that I was supposed to be in Religious Life. Still, God had me on quite the journey since then. I thought I could never become a Sister because of the amount of student loans I have so I didn't let myself fully embrace this possibility. But this year, more than ever, I realize I am part of a really big family of children of God. I can no longer think of this as something I have to do on my own. In essence, my vocation belongs to all of us. Not asking for help, shoving this dream away out of fear of loans and fear of family has been wrong thinking. So I am finally answering - despite my fears - I am answering. I found your site because I am struggling with how to proceed and found some others on here who also discussed Laboure Society and Mater Ecclesiae and private fundraising. I wanted to know how those stories turned out and if any of you had some words of wisdom for me. I have a personal fundraising site now but there aren't many places you are allowed to share it online. 

I am busy preparing to move to the monastery for 3 months for my final Candidacy live in. October through December. I am having to give up so very much but I am so ready to go home to my family... finally. I have known my community for ten years. I am no longer supposed to be looking in from the outside but rather looking out from the inside onto His beautiful people who need prayers. No loss I am facing will compare to the joys of knowing I am finally right where God wants, and has called, me to be. 

Right after Candidacy I will have to jump right into finding a new job (I had to give up my current one for candidacy), find a place to live, in a state where I have never lived before, and then continue fundraising. It's not going to be an easy road. It hasn't been easy to dare to dream again that this actually could be possible. It's a huge risk. I owe a lot of money but still I know money is not the same thing to God as it is to us. I just need wisdom on how to proceed rightly. 

I would be most grateful for your prayers and counsel. 

In our precious Lord Jesus, 
Meritt

I have known quite a few stories with both the Laboure Society and Mater Ecclesiae.  Both have given lots of people opportunities in the priesthood and religious life that they otherwise would not have had.   Sounds like you have taken the first required step for both of these, that is, being accepted by a community.  Their space (or rather, funds) are limited, so get going right now!  Also, once you move to the area the Poor Clares are in and finish your Candidacy, you may be able to meet people that frequent the laity side of the chapel, and they may be able to help you fundraise.  These people could be indispensable because they have a love for the community and want to see it thrive.

Edited by JHFamily

Many prayer for you Meritt as you journey to your new home . I hope that all goes well at you live in and your fund raising.

God Bless you and your new family.

I do not know how to fundraise or anything, but just a bit of advice : when you become an active member of your local church (i.e your parish, your diocese), many doors open. Do not hesitate to take part in the every day life of your parish, talk with priest about your situation. Who knows who you will meet !

Many prayers for you.

Thank you everyone! I can feel your prayers. I have made a few decisions and feel I am proceeding in the best way for me. I have decided on fundraising on my own and then applying for the Mater Ecclesiae grant. I had to pick what felt right for me at this time. I also have to mindful of protecting my discernment time during my Candidacy live in. Prayer must be focus during that time ... not fundraising. I have prayer cards with my information to distribute, some letters going out, and also much prayer is going into my Mater Ecclesiae application. 

Do any of you know some ways/places I could share my fundraising page online? I need some creative ideas. 

I am meeting with my Parish priest next week about possibly leaving some contact cards there. :) 

Thank you all for your prayers! Shortly after I posted this a parish in another state contacted me and they are praying about supporting me. God is so good. And I know that if I am faithful and keep Him the main thing I will have a great testimony to share. 

My community is waiting for me, and I for them. I am so excited about Candidacy! 28 days! YAY!

• 2 weeks later...

Blessings to you, Meritt! I am also an aspirant to a Poor Clare community (I'm curious which one you're discerning with!) and I had more than $100K in student debt that I paid off after seven years total. I wasn't able to fundraise for a variety of reasons but I did look into fundraising sites like GoFundme.com. The Laboure and Mater Ecclesiae you mentioned are probably really helpful but I imagine receive many applications. Fundraising within your parish is also a good option because people know you personally and might be willing to help. One option that helped me was asking 6 close friends of mine from the parish - ranging in age but all supportive of my vocation - to meet with me monthly to brainstorm ideas about fundraising and help discern with me. This could be an option you might want to ask your priest about. Another option is whether some of the Poor Clares' benefactors might be interested in helping if they knew of your situation...but that could be a delicate subject for you with the nuns. 

In my case, I discerned that God was asking me to be very patient and pay off my debt on my own. It was hard to come to that understanding but I just knew that was what He was asking. Perhaps spending time in silence and prayer will help you discern what God is asking of you with this challenge. Nothing is insurmountable with God's help, as you know! Keep up your courage and keep knocking at the door... remember Luke 11:9-13. Pray to Our Lady and St. Clare also for their help and intercessions. God be with you! You're in my prayers.

Thank you clareagnes for your wise counsel. :) Blessings on your journey as well. Right now God is doing many little miracles. :) God is so good and I am overjoyed that He is calling you as well. 

Next week my Parish is blessing and sending me out. It is sure to be a blessed time. My first full day in the Monastery will be the Feast of St. Francis. God is so faithful. I am going to keep my eyes fixed on His gaze and proceed in whatever ways He calls me to. Obedience is the best option right?! :) I have paid thousands and thousands of dollars on my loans over the years and have never gone without making a payment. This last chunk of loans is a hurdle for sure. But I believe if He has brought me this far He will continue to do so. 

Thank you everyone! 15 days til I leave! Praise be to our Lord Jesus Christ. 

Meritt