An Old School Catholic Message Board

Buying products tested on animals?

Guest KarenJo

Guest KarenJo

Is it a sin to buy from companies that test their products on animals, though those products aren't considered necessary like cosmetics or even shampoo. I've even heard that a chocolate company is doing too. Do we have to boycott them or it ok for us to buy from them, whether or not there are alternatives since our cooperation would be remote. I'm thinking it's permissable as long as our cooperation isn't proximate but they make the products because of animal testing I guess and so I'm confused as to whether our cooperation is proximate and not remote? 

This is one of those issues that the Church really hasn’t talked about.  To my mind, there is a big difference in testing a vaccine against something like polio or rabies on animals, and testing a new lipstick or chocolate. If it’s necessary testing on a necessary product, I’m okay with it so long as they are as humane as possible. 

Part of the idea of sin has to do with our consciences. If your personal morality is strictly vegan, then any product that is tested is going to cause you distress. If you are the kind of person who truly believes that God put animals on the earth for our benefit and use, testing isn't going to be an issue. 

Material cooperation springs from which activities you find to be sinful.