An Old School Catholic Message Board

The American First Lady

catholicinsd

Which of Donald Trump's three marriages would the Church consider the valid one? Which of the three gals would is the First Lady in the eyes of the Church? 

Just an FYI, the fact that Trump isn't Catholic doesn't mean that the Church applies different laws to him regarding the permanence of marriage.  As a non Catholic, Trump would not be required to follow canonical form in getting married (even though he would have to give consent) but that doesn't mean that his marriage would not be recognized as valid (and even as a sacrament if he married a baptized person).  Protestants who have been previously married petition for annulments in order to marry Catholics. I have had clients petitioning for an annulment who have never been baptized, and don't plan to be baptized, just so they can be in a valid marriage with their Catholic spouse. SO there is some misinformation in your response.  I think the original question makes sense. You always hear certain groups of Catholics calling people fornicators who are remarried without an annulment (typically the same ones who love Trump). I don't know the details of Trump's marriages, but it is an interesting question as to which, if any, of his marriages are actually valid.  Probably the first one, that would be the assumption, but I am not sure what Ivana's religious background is.  But, you would start with marriage 1 and work your way forward.

Just to add, I think the Church recognizes his current wife as the FLOTUS.  FLOTUS is not a ecclesiastical designation.  Donald Trump and Melania Trump are in a civil marriage.  The role of FLOTUS is a civil matter, so the Church would recognize this civil reality (regardless of the status of the marriage in canon law).

7 hours ago, iamnormal said:

so the Church would recognize this civil reality (regardless of the status of the marriage in canon law).

in what world?

Honest questions:

1. The Church recognises as valid civil marriage between two non Catholics who are free to marry.  But not if one or both parties have been previously married and there is no annulment?
  2. Trump has been previously married and is divorced without annulment - therefore The Church would not recognise his marriage to Melania as valid?
  3. Is a civil annulment regarded by The Church as valid annulment of two non Catholics civilly married?

Ivana Zelníčková Trump was married to an Alfred Winklmayr (in what we would compare to a "green-card marriage") before Donald Trump, so that kind of complicates her claim.

In this same vein, is R. Megan Markel actually Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Sussex or she still- in the eyes of Holy Mother Church-  Mrs. Trevor Engelson?