An Old School Catholic Message Board

(Non catholic issue) how to cope?

28yrolddiscerner

28yrolddiscerner

My brother is returning from the psychiatric hospital in 4 days.  He’s tried to commit suicide 8 times and isn’t stable yet.   He can also be very scary!  He has tried to abuse my mom and I, but he also has a very sweet and sensitive side.

how do I cope with him being home all the time??? I have no job outside of minor volunteer work.  Should I stay out of the house?  I am afraid of him, but he has no other friends than me and mom...

please pray for our family! Btw I am I’ll too with schizophrenia like him, but mine is contained not his. And my mom has severe arthritis. ;(  thank God she is not mentally ill.

My husband has schizophrenia. He’s having a tough time right now. Stress causes breakthrough symptoms. I survive it by separating him from his illness. It’s not him it’s the illness doing these things. When he has symptoms, and thinks the TV is talking to him, I don’t tell him he’s right and participate in the delusion. I don’t tell him he’s wrong or imagining things. I simple say if the TV is talking to you, turn it off and go to bed. 

I can tell him that I understand that what he’s seeing or hearing is real to him, but I’m not experiencing it. Not being able to trust your senses is a scary thing. The most important thing is for you to stay stable for your mom’s sake. Have a safe place to go when you feel scared. Make sure you take your own self care seriously. 

When you’re feeling strong enough, give your mom some respite too. Make sure she has the time to do her own self care. Focus on the good, the positives. Take each issue as it comes up, one thing at a time. Don’t dwell on the big picture or the future. Live in the moment and just the issue in front of you.