An Old School Catholic Message Board

Overcoming doubt

28yrolddiscerner

28yrolddiscerner

Part of me knows that Jesus is God and that he loves me.  But when life gets way too hard I take my eyes off of Jesus , and I greatly fear the storm around me... storms of mental illness, family suicide attempts, Church scandal, physical pain, etc.!

How can I trust that God is looking out for me and loved ones when things seem so precarious?  All I have is doubts sometimes.  But part of me knows God is in the boat.

thank you

We all have this at times. I’ve gotten truly steaming mad at God on more than one occasion. The opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s indifference. Sounds like you aren’t doubting he’s God, you’re doubting he cares. 

When our parents let us explore as kids, and we inevitably get hurt, it doesn’t mean they don’t care about us. They care about us enough to know we have to develop resilience. We have to work our muscles and our nerve to strengthen both. My Dad used to say trials are God’s way of strengthening our spiritual muscles for the trials ahead. 

He must need you to be very strong for the coming spiritual wars. Keep your eyes on the cross. He knows your pain. He’s felt it too. He felt abandoned in the garden. He felt abandoned on the cross, but he wasn’t. You aren’t either. 

You will be in my prayers.