An Old School Catholic Message Board

Johnny and June

catholicinsd

I don't understand why in country music circles, Johnny and June Carter Cash are the be-all, end-all of relationships.  They were both married to other people but decided to commit the mortal sin of adultery; really gives new meaning the term "Ring of Fire."

So many songs these days reference them in lyrics, but when you say "like Johnny and June" you're really saying "I want to cheat on my spouse and leave my children while you do the same."

At least Conway and Loretta didn't need to broadcast their licentiousness outright.  

On 9/24/2018 at 11:19 PM, catholicinsd said:

I don't understand why in country music circles, Johnny and June Carter Cash are the be-all, end-all of relationships.  They were both married to other people but decided to commit the mortal sin of adultery; really gives new meaning the term "Ring of Fire."

So many songs these days reference them in lyrics, but when you say "like Johnny and June" you're really saying "I want to cheat on my spouse and leave my children while you do the same."

At least Conway and Loretta didn't need to broadcast their licentiousness outright.  

I take it that it is similar to "David and Bathsheba"? 

KnightofChrist

Some people also say they want a relationship like Romeo and Juliet but they don't mean they want their families to murder each other or to commit suicide together.

catholicinsd
On 10/1/2018 at 10:44 PM, KnightofChrist said:

Some people also say they want a relationship like Romeo and Juliet but they don't mean they want their families to murder each other or to commit suicide together.

Romeo and Juliet were fictional, whereas these were very real people in a very mortal sin.