An Old School Catholic Message Board

Extern Sisters

Crucesignata

Salvete omnes!

Does anyone have any resources on extern sisters?  Particularly of the Carmelite variety...although honestly anything would be helpful.  There doesn't seem to be a lot out there that I can find on the world wide webs.

:)

In Corde Matris,

Crucesignata

Hi Crucesignata.............If you Google: carmelite nuns - extern sisters.......... you will find a few websites addressing the subject of extern sisters in Carmel.  I hope you might find something you did not find previously.

They do certainly exist.   Their numbers seem to be dwindling, if you ask me, and many communities do not even have them anymore.  Perhaps that is why it's hard to find out anything about them.  They still remain as cloistered as possible, though their responsibilities inside the monastery are lessened so they may have time to help the chaplain, answer the turn, etc.  If you have a specific question, maybe I can help.

On 10/10/2018 at 12:23 PM, clk said:

Buffalo Carmel still has extern nuns.

Ah, good to know—thanks!  

On 10/10/2018 at 3:46 AM, BarbaraTherese said:

Hi Crucesignata.............If you Google: carmelite nuns - extern sisters.......... you will find a few websites addressing the subject of extern sisters in Carmel.  I hope you might find something you did not find previously.

Thanks for your help!  Yes, I did do a google search, but it wasn’t as fruitful as I had hoped. There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot out there. :) 

6 hours ago, Crucesignata said:

Thanks for your help!  Yes, I did do a google search, but it wasn’t as fruitful as I had hoped. There doesn’t seem to be a whole lot out there. :) 

I wonder if you contacted Carmelite communities within your travel range and asked them if they have extern sisters.  They may or may not........alternatively, they might be able to give you potential communities you could contact.  Carmelite communities usually are connected in some way to each other and are aware of what is happening in other communities.  Certainly, here in Australia they are.   Another means might be to contact the vocations director in your diocese and ask her.  

May God bless your discernment journey.  God's blessings too if you contact Buffalo Carmel. I had a look at their website and they are in the Association of St. Joseph with other Carmelite communities. https://www.carmelitenunsstjoseph.org/monastery.htm

On 10/10/2018 at 12:52 PM, Crucesignata said:

Salvete omnes!

Does anyone have any resources on extern sisters?  Particularly of the Carmelite variety...although honestly anything would be helpful.  There doesn't seem to be a lot out there that I can find on the world wide webs.

:)

In Corde Matris,

Crucesignata

Noticed the following thread on Catholic Answers about monastic extern sisters - with links to communities that do have externs:

https://forums.catholic.com/t/the-vocation-of-extern-sister/515212

I would suggest, also, that just because a community doesn't currently have an extern, it doesn't necessarily follow that they wouldn't be open to having one.

What JHF said.

Carmel of JMJ in Elysburg has had an extern sister for a few years now. They also had lay sisters, both of who went to the new foundation in Fairfield. If you feel called to that particular life, you should express it to the superior of the Carmels you have visited.  

A girl called Carla who was previously on here is now a Carmelite Extern Sister. If you wish to ask her any questions, I can forward them to her and let you know? Drop me a direct message if you wish. God bless.

I didn't know Carla had become an extern.  Is she still in temporary vows, or has she made her final profession?  Anyone up to date about her?

I don't know where you're based, but there is an extern sister  at the Notting Hill Carmel in London, UK. At least two Phatmassers have entered there.

In case anyone is directing "there are certainly extern sisters" to me--my comment was about lay sisters, not externs. I know there are still externs. It was lay sisters that were suppressed by Vatican II. 

[Perfectae caritatis, #15:] That all the members be more closely knit by the bond of brotherly love, those who are called lay-brothers, assistants, or some similar name should be drawn closely in to the life and work of the community. Unless conditions really suggest something else, care should be taken that there be only one class of Sisters in communities of women. Only that distinction of persons should be retained which corresponds to-the diversity of works for which the Sisters are destined, either by special vocation from God or by reason of special aptitude.