An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fr. Frank Pavone and Raymond Arroyo

catholicinsd

I recently decided to "unfollow" both Father Frank Pavone and Raymond Arroyo on social media. Father Pavone is nothing more than a Donald Trump apologist, who I really don't think cares about the young women facing abortion, or their unborn children for that matter. Mr. Arroyo has used the platform that Mother Angelica Rizzo gave him to promote himself; I don't think it's untrue to say he used her coffin as a stepping stone to get to Fox News.   

19 hours ago, catholicinsd said:

I recently decided to "unfollow" both Father Frank Pavone and Raymond Arroyo on social media. Father Pavone is nothing more than a Donald Trump apologist, who I really don't think cares about the young women facing abortion, or their unborn children for that matter. Mr. Arroyo has used the platform that Mother Angelica Rizzo gave him to promote himself; I don't think it's untrue to say he used her coffin as a stepping stone to get to Fox News.   

I have actually met both of them a few times and they seemed fairly genuine to me. That said, I don't follow either of them on social media. I will just say that I used to watch the World Over Live all the time but do not watch it very much or hardly at all because I got tired hearing about political machinations and criticism that may be very valid but sometimes comes off uncharitably. Not a big fan of some of his friends. Of course, I do agree with many of the positions and views presented and advocated for-- admittedly, not all-- for example, when it comes to immigration. It's not nuanced...  everything comes all strictly as either left or right, the two-party system only thinking, this party versus that party.  Just seems more political than Catholic.

I feel EWTN might be the next to get the ax, as whoever runs their Twitter account decided it was a good idea to retweet Mr. Arroyo's video of himself pretending to fall off a bar-stool next to an unwed mother.  

Also, huge victory for LIFE in Washington State, as her Supreme Court has ended the Death Penalty. From Father Pavone on this? Silence. 

He did however decide to tweet a selfie and video of Kayne West.

KnightofChrist

I follow them both. Arroyo's bit the other night with Laura Ingraham was great. I actually loled. I also follow Father James Martin, and a few other left leaning Catholics. Just to keep myself open to other views. I would follow more liberal, or heterodox Catholics on twitter but block chains are apparently very popular on the left. Twitter is very bad for this. Im blocked by people i have never heard of or even communicate with, ever. I understand not following someone you don't agree with but to block massive groups of people you dont know and never talk to? That is counterproductive if you really want to live outside a bubble or echo chamber. 

Ash Wednesday

Washington state had suspended the death penalty for some time so that was probably just a matter of time. 

I thought the Arroyo fall was funny...the first couple of times I saw it, anyway. He could have done without playing it out so much, though. That got tiresome. All said, I still like him. 

I actually hadn't been following Fr. Frank Pavone much until recently, because it's only been recently I've paid much attention to Catholic issues on twitter after all the scandals. The issue of the death penalty is still subject to debate (and I think there's a thread on here about this somewhere) so I don't take issue with him not saying anything about that -- but the overt support of Trump and the way Fr. Pavone tweets slogans do make me uncomfortable and I do wonder if that's not somewhat overboard for what I'd expect from a clergyman --  and I'm generally pretty conservative at times. He even used the hashtag "lockherup" I mean... really? I didn't think the Church was allowed to endorse politicians and political parties so prominently, though I do know it's good and necessary for clergy to encourage prayers for our leaders and praise decisions politicians make when upholding the protection of human life from conception to natural death.

On 10/11/2018 at 12:40 AM, catholicinsd said:

I can't blame you, I was one of many who wrote Pavone's Bishop during the election when he decided to preach a political homily with an aborted fetus on his altar; that showed me that I don't believe his claims of being pro-life.  If he truly believed that child was a child, then he desecrated a corpse.  I can't bring myself to believe anyone who truly believed that child was a child, would use the body of a child as a cheap prop for a political homily, when the child was deserving of a proper burial.  He desecrated that child's corpse and he desecrated that altar.  

5 hours ago, BG45 said:

I can't blame you, I was one of many who wrote Pavone's Bishop during the election when he decided to preach a political homily with an aborted fetus on his altar; that showed me that I don't believe his claims of being pro-life.  If he truly believed that child was a child, then he desecrated a corpse.  I can't bring myself to believe anyone who truly believed that child was a child, would use the body of a child as a cheap prop for a political homily, when the child was deserving of a proper burial.  He desecrated that child's corpse and he desecrated that altar.  

Shocked and saddened.  I hope he did not go through with it - I am Australian.

KnightofChrist
2 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Shocked and saddened.  I hope he did not go through with it - I am Australian.

He did, he was wrong to use the altar. But not wrong to show what abortion results in, a dead human being, a child. It is weak, effeminate, and corwardly to hide away the reality of abortion from public view. Father Pavone isn't always and is sometimes outright wrong. But he is not a pansy.

Edited by KnightofChrist

9 hours ago, KnightofChrist said:

He did, he was wrong to use the altar. But not wrong to show what abortion results in, a dead human being, a child. It is weak, effeminate, and corwardly to hide away the reality of abortion from public view. Father Pavone isn't always and is sometimes outright wrong. But he is not a pansy.

The ends don't justify the means. True, it is cowardly to hide away from the reality of abortion. It is courageous and very much the right thing to do to speak about the grave evil of abortion – – but how are you going to do that? In his zeal to speak out he definitely crossed the line as we can all agree.

Yeah, we should not be pansies when it comes to the truth but we need to be careful of going to the other extreme. Satan is no pansy (even though he is a coward) and is working at radical extremes (except the radical extreme of true virtue of course, which is always temperate and balanced) and it is possible to be ensnared even in the midst of doing something we perceive to be good.

Edited by Seven77

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 2:44 PM, dominicansoul said:

I believe they are both doing the work of the Lord.

How is this the "work of the Lord."?