An Old School Catholic Message Board

Brown scapular question

Kateri89

I was invested with the brown scapular after Mass a year or two ago and I wear it at all times except for bathing and working out because it gets tangled and sweaty.  I wondered if ordinary Catholics are allowed to wear a bigger scapular.  I’m asking because it drives me crazy to constantly be readjusting it and I thought that if I wore a bigger one with thicker, shorter cords it might stay put better.  I just didn’t know if the bigger scapulars are only meant for lay Carmelites or not.

Can anyone help answer this?

The ceremonial size ones are meant for lay Carmelites. However, there are different versions around in slightly different size of the actual wool part and cord lengths.  I find that one geographic area often will only sell one size, so try contacting a Carmelite monastery which makes them (some might even be willing to accept a custom request), or just try different online sellers. My first one was the sort of run of the mill one, and it drove me crazy - the cords were too short, and the plasticy/cardboard cover was not good.  I found the one one which wool was a little bit larger, maybe 1/8th of an inch all way around, with longer cords, and a fabric cover.  I've been wearing it for years now and its been good - just need to wash it occasionally.