Jump to content
Alberto Guimaraes

PILGRIM REFUSED TO ENTER BAREFOOT AT THE CATHEDRAL OF SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA

Recommended Posts

Alberto Guimaraes

Peace and good!
Sue Kenney has abandoned the use of footwear for years.
She is an enthusiast of the "Camiños de Santiago".
The last time she wanted, as always, to enter barefoot at the Cathedral, but a watchman refused her to enter so, as you can hear in this video taken by Sue Kenney herself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZTEWVLdAOo&list=PLdT6NS277vjMByDCuLNaxOD8HsD0X-qxz&t=0s&index=321

Now I ask: is this attitude toward a faithful pilgrim?
Sometimes the decisions of the church authorities are regrettable!
May Jesus, Mary and Francis bless and keep you!
Fraternal hug!
Br. Alberto Guimaraes OFS
Braga - Portugal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ash Wednesday

A lot of well known pilgrimage sites and churches have dress codes and the obedient and respectful thing to do is to honor them. The watchman was probably just doing his job. Generally in most of these places, people aren't allowed to be barefoot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dominicansoul

Obedience is important.  IF you are going to serve the Lord, obey the Lord.  If he says, wear shoes, wear shoes.  

There's a little bit of humility that is needed when one offers oneself mortification.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alberto Guimaraes
3 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

Obedience is important.  IF you are going to serve the Lord, obey the Lord.  If he says, wear shoes, wear shoes.  

There's a little bit of humility that is needed when one offers oneself mortification.  

Peace and Good!

Lord said to Moses to ditch out his sandals, so He never refused an humble pilgrim to enter barefoot at His house.

The refuse came from the men, not from God.

13 hours ago, Ash Wednesday said:

A lot of well known pilgrimage sites and churches have dress codes and the obedient and respectful thing to do is to honor them. The watchman was probably just doing his job. Generally in most of these places, people aren't allowed to be barefoot. 

At Fatima, «The Altar of the World», NEVER a pilgrim was refused to go barefoot.

Some years ago sleeveless or short sleeves or mini-skirts weren't allowed to ladies, and men couldn't use shorts , except boy scouts or another uniform, but today... Fatima certainly would miss 99% of the pilgrims!

Blessings!

Br. Alberto Guimaraes OFS

Braga ─ Portugal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Anomaly

Have a bit of charity towards the people who try to control the tourists that have no sense of reverence, but are just there to see a “sight”.  As soon as they make an exception to the humble pilgrim, they will have to face confrontation from some clueless tourist that can’t understand why they’re not allowed to pose on the altar or arrange the family for a photo crowded in a confessional.  

I think it’s prideful and rude to make such a public scandal about her public act of not wearing shoes by pointing out the watchmans possible error. If your right hand acts charitabley, it doesn’t need to let the left hand and the town know about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alberto Guimaraes
14 hours ago, Anomaly said:

they will have to face confrontation from some clueless tourist that can’t understand why they’re not allowed to pose on the altar or arrange the family for a photo crowded in a confessional.  

Peace and Good!

Of course entering a temple to pray is very different from entering to pose on a photo that sometimes even shows inconvenient attitudes.
I am an inveterate photographer, and I really enjoy shooting churches, but when I see a warning of "Forbidden to shoot or film" ... I follow the rule!

If there are already picture cards for sale with images of the temple, if I am going to be doing the same images, I am practicing a "piracy" that damages the economic yield of this temple.
I like being photographed in churches, but I pose with dignity.
Blessings from Jesus, Mary and Francis!

Br. Alberto Guimaraes OFS

Braga ─ Portugal

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seven77
On 10/31/2018 at 11:10 AM, Alberto Guimaraes said:

Peace and Good!

Of course entering a temple to pray is very different from entering to pose on a photo that sometimes even shows inconvenient attitudes.
I am an inveterate photographer, and I really enjoy shooting churches, but when I see a warning of "Forbidden to shoot or film" ... I follow the rule!

If there are already picture cards for sale with images of the temple, if I am going to be doing the same images, I am practicing a "piracy" that damages the economic yield of this temple.
I like being photographed in churches, but I pose with dignity.
Blessings from Jesus, Mary and Francis!

Br. Alberto Guimaraes OFS

Braga ─ Portugal

 

Hello Brother. I'm not sure if I'm missing something but following the rule not to video or photograph a church is essentially the same as following the rule regarding clothing. Regardless of the reason behind it. If it's forbidden, it's forbidden. Simple as that. I think of the non-Catholic women who have a private audience with the Holy Father – – they are required to veil their heads. Yet I have never really heard of any dignitary refusing this.

Edited by Seven77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarbaraTherese

If I put my own private devotion as more important than obedience, I have lost the plot I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×