An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good books for theology of the body and gender issue

Gareth

Hello. I've recently found that my school has now got a book in its library called 'What is Gender, How does it Define Us, and Other Big Questions?' by Juno Dawson, which is just as bad as it sounds - even encouraging sex change. 

The library is pretty good at accepting student requests and ordering new books. Does anyone know of any good books (even if they are not Catholic) on theology of the body, especially the gender issue, that I could order so that the truth is still available to the students who do want to investigate this at least.

Male and female — that does go to the beginning of creation. That does define each one of us, in our being, from the moment of our conception. To be human, in the plan of God, is to be male or female. This is the basis of marriage, the joining of man and woman in a union that is total, lifelong, complementary, open to the gift of life.

Of course many women aren’t wives or mothers, and many men aren’t husbands or fathers — and that’s entirely in keeping with God’s plan. But all wives and all mothers are women, and all husbands and all fathers are men. That’s the plan of God from the beginning. This is good.

On 11/11/2018 at 3:56 PM, Gareth said:

Hello. I've recently found that my school has now got a book in its library called 'What is Gender, How does it Define Us, and Other Big Questions?' by Juno Dawson, which is just as bad as it sounds - even encouraging sex change. 

The library is pretty good at accepting student requests and ordering new books. Does anyone know of any good books (even if they are not Catholic) on theology of the body, especially the gender issue, that I could order so that the truth is still available to the students who do want to investigate this at least.

Good on you!  An act of evangelisation and an important one.

This link leads to the USCCB website and some book recommendations on the subject USCCB website: Books on Theology of The Body

I hope that another member will give you exactly what you are looking for and after having read the book.

Good luck - God Bless :) 

There aren't a lot of books on this subject because the Church doesn't teach much about gender theory, yay or nay. 

Now, I personally think gender theory is a load of hootahenny but the Church is mostly silent on it, in its official capacity. I was surprised there is not much teaching on transgenderism for example.