An Old School Catholic Message Board

A fire enkindled once again

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

The arrival of five Carmelite sisters from the Philippines will enable the re-founding of Hawaii’s monastery

By Patrick Downes
Hawaii Catholic Herald

Hawaii’s new Carmelites

Here are brief profiles of the five Carmelite Sisters coming from the Philippines to join the Carmel of the Holy Trinity at St. Stephen Diocesan Center. The first three are arriving Nov. 26. The last two plan to be in Hawaii early next year. Information and profiles are by Carmelite Sister Mary Bernard of Carmel of St. Therese of the Child Jesus in Quezon City, Metro Manila, who helped recruit them.

Sister Mary Angelica of God the Father, OCD

Birth name: Angelica Belen Guevarra

Monastery: Carmelite Monastery, Lipa City (two hours by car from Manila)

Profile: “A graduate of the University of the Philippines, Los Banos, and was pursuing a master’s degree in psychology when she joined Carmel. She is the sweet and sober type.”

Sister Assumpta John Theresa of the Risen Christ, OCD

Birth name: Marinit Macapanas

Monastery: Carmel of St. Therese, Quezon City, Metro-Manila

Profile: “A teacher in the secondary level; she is the street-smart type, who can deal with any situation.”

Sister Mary Francis of Jesus Crucified, OCD

Birth name: Beatriz Apordo

Monastery: Cagayan de Oro Carmel, Cagayan de Oro City (two hours by plane from Manila)

Profile: “The quiet type, but when she talks it will hit you between the eyes.”

Sister Mary Elizabeth of the Trinity, OCD

Birth name: Verna Liza Sedo

Monastery: Carmel of Mati, Mati City, Davao Oriental (three hours by car to Davao City airport, plus two hours by plane to Manila)

Profile: “A professional catechist, so easy to get along with.”

Sister Ann Therese of the Immaculate Heart, OCD

Birth name: Rowena Mae Carmona Ocampo

Monastery: Carmel of Davao, Davao City, Davao Occidental (two hours by plane to Manila)

Profile: “A graduate of the University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, with a degree of fine arts in interior design. She is a pleasant personality who takes her Carmelite life seriously.”

I really like seeing the refoundation of floundering or extinct communities.  However, it seems concerning to me that they would not be able to attract natives, the whole problem in the first place, thus just putting off the inevitable.  Does anyone know of communities where this has been done, and the community is growing once again?

The original article which this is taken from, says that the Carmel has one ready to take final vows and one eligible for first vows but because of sudden deaths of a few members, couldn’t proceed to those vows. This community, by the sounds of it, was founded out of a Chinese? Carmel in the 1970s. So they’re actually refounding with the current members. This is akin to the now JMJ Carmel in Philadelphia. You could check the numbers as well for the Carmel refounded by Vietnamese nuns (in Texas, I think?)

I think you may be thinking of the Vietnamese Carmelites in Mobile, Alabama, who refounded that monastery in 2011.  I just saw a community picture on Facebook, and it appears to me that there is one American, and she appears middle aged.  I would conclude that, no, they are not attracting the native population, leaving me to think that it would have been better to make a foundation in Vietnam where there are more vocations than cells. Wait a minute ... the thought just occurred to me, though, that I think there is a lot of Vietnamese ancestry in that area, and four of those sisters look quite young.  In addition, they began with 8 and are now at 11.   So, it does seem like they are growing.  Not booming, but I think booming sometimes causes problems in a Carmel.  So, their Vietnamese heritage could be a drawing card for some Vietnamese Americans, of which there are many.

I think I'll just slink back into my little hole for being so callous as to what an American looks like.

Yes, the JMJ foundation in Philly is similar, however, there is one significant difference.  The JMJ Carmels are in a population boom cycle right now since there are so many vocations coming out of TLM parishes.   I think with the latest foundations, there may be some settling.  I happen to know the Valparaiso JMJ Carmel has the smallest novitiate since 2001 or 2002.

So these two show that refoundations can work.  But each one has a unique draw for certain women, which makes me think this new refoundation may have its own unique attractions as well.

graciandelamadrededios
1 hour ago, truthfinder said:

The original article which this is taken from, says that the Carmel has one ready to take final vows and one eligible for first vows but because of sudden deaths of a few members, couldn’t proceed to those vows. This community, by the sounds of it, was founded out of a Chinese? Carmel in the 1970s. So they’re actually refounding with the current members. This is akin to the now JMJ Carmel in Philadelphia. You could check the numbers as well for the Carmel refounded by Vietnamese nuns (in Texas, I think?)

Hawaii Carmel was founded by Hongkong Carmel.