An Old School Catholic Message Board

Posts being changed

BarbTherese

My posts into Private Vows/Spirituality are being changed.  I do not know why or how.  Has anyone else had this problem?

The posts later change back again.  If it is a moderator or administrator doing it, I would like to know please?  If it is, and I cannot be sure, I know when I am not welcome.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I have alerted moderation/administration that my posts are being changed.  This is altering the sense of what I actually did post.

It is useless for me to post........... on Phatmass anyway.  No wonder Phatmass has gone so quiet if this sort of behaviour has been going on with other members too.  

"Essentially, it is the duty of the moderator to manage the day-to-day affairs of a forum or board as it applies to the stream of user contributions and interactions. The relative effectiveness of this user management directly impacts the quality of a forum in general, its appeal, and its usefulness as a community of interrelated users."

What has been happening is certainly not Gospel nor Catholic behaviour.

Don't stress-this too shall pass. Nothing anyone writes here is so important that we need to lose our peace worrying about hackers or bots or other stupid people. Have a beverage and admire nature and just wait for one of the Mediators of Meh to get back to you. Patience is a virtue, right?

17 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

http://frwayneball.blogspot.com/2015/06/christian-not-doormat.html

I have no way of knowing if the above link will be changed to something quite silly ........in the context.

But I am neither stressed nor lacking Peace.  In fact was having coffee after my evening meal and watched The News - and decided to drop in here for a minute.

That's good to know - your posts were sounding a bit frantic but we all know how things come across in writing, don't we?

• 3 weeks later...

It was initially a real shock at the time to see my post so dramatically changed.  It was confusing. I did report it, but have not received any reply.  The post in question has now been changed back to what I originally posted.  I thought that if a post was going to be edited, then the member posting would have been advised and why the post was edited.  I have concluded that I made incorrect assumptions where Phatmass is concerned.

At the time, I had no idea if my dramatically altered post was an isolated event or if other members had perhaps experienced the same.  I also concluded that aside from Phatmass being hacked, which I strongly doubted, few in the membership would have the ability/power to dramatically change a post for the 'fun' of it.  The experience has told me something about Phatmass.

Did you ever think that perhaps it was just an error? Someone might have meant to change another post for whatever reason (I assume Mediators of Meh can do this for censorship reasons) but did the wrong post and later noticed the mistake and corrected it? It just seems so unlikely that of all the posters on this site, yours was targeted for change for some nefarious reason. Let it go. In the grand scheme of life, it really isn't something to fret about - too many other things in the 'worry about this' column. 

If you say so.  You have made a number of assumptions about me and the situation that are incorrect.  You are entitled to that too and your own fretting about me and my posts.

Peace and God bless

Edited by BarbaraTherese

1 hour ago, BarbaraTherese said:

If you say so.  You have made a number of assumptions about me and the situation that are incorrect.  You are entitled to that too and your own fretting about me and my posts.

Peace and God bless

My intentions were simply to offer some thoughts that might help you but if you don't see it that way, I will certainly cease offering any suggestions. Much peace to you too. No wonder this place is dying - sensitivity is a bit over the top methinks.

Give an example with actual text so people know what you're talking about. A few words removed? A paragraph? You're being extremely vauge.

Edited by Guest

On November 24, 2018 at 2:54 PM, BarbaraTherese said:

My posts into Private Vows/Spirituality are being changed.  I do not know why or how.  Has anyone else had this problem?

The posts later change back again.  If it is a moderator or administrator doing it, I would like to know please?  If it is, and I cannot be sure, I know when I am not welcome.

Can you quote one of the posts that was changed? 

3 hours ago, Lil Red said:

Can you quote one of the posts that was changed? 

Thank you very much, LR- I will PM you asap

Edited by BarbaraTherese

12 hours ago, cruciatacara said:

No wonder this place is dying - sensitivity is a bit over the top methinks.

Patronizing posts might be another reason.

5 hours ago, Josh said:

Give an example with actual text so people know what you're talking about. A few words removed? A paragraph? You're being extremely vauge.

Apologies for being vague. I am hoping the matter can now be sorted out through Lil Red, Mediator of Meh, and behind the scenes via PM.  

I did PM Lil Red Thursday giving him full details, but have not heard back.  It is a very busy time of year just now and only days before Christmas - also he might have plans to go away or have gone already.  It could be anything at all in fact.........I like to think that in every situation there is always X the unknown factor, in other words factors in a situation about which one knows nothing.   I will be patient and wait for a response. 

To remove vagueness after a bit of thought, it was not a word or paragraph that was changed.  It was two videos on which I was commenting.  The videos were changed to something totally different confusing what I had written.  I have no idea how long the changed videos remained. They were changed back to what I originally posted shortly after reporting the post in the normal course.  I have had no reply to that reporting either.   I have researched Google and YouTube to ensure the problem was not theirs, but my research anyway revealed nothing.  My own computer is protected and I have had no problems with my computer at all since doing a system restore quite some time back now.  Other than those facts, I know too little about computers to understand as factual what happened and why.

It was not so much what was done that is disturbing, although that was disturbing enough.  It is that apparently it can be done and could be done, will be done perhaps, in the future.  It might be called nothing to be concerned about, although I hold that if someone has a concern, then it is a concern.  Just as if someone has a problem, then it is a problem; if someone has a question, then it deserves an answer.  

Of course, my standards for myself are mine with no need at all for others to hold to them.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

The problem I had on my computer required that I disconnect Chrome, do a system restore back to a point when I had no problems - and then reconnect Chrome.  No problems since then.