An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why is the Phorum Mostly Dead?

tinytherese

5 hours ago, Josh said:

Doubt it. If I don't want to be caught I won't. At this point I'm not very motivated to open another account there. It's a weird place. Will admit some of the conversations are interesting.

Yeah. Whoever's reading, if you want to cover your tracks, get around bans or be invisible online, get a VPN. Hola has a free one. Dont do anything illegal tho cuz the fuzz have eyes

10 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Theres this tension you're illustrating here, which is what I got into trouble for alluding to on the "date a noncatholic" thread. Everyone is ultimately responsible for their own decision to accept or reject Christ. But people, especially family, can say and do things and have influence that lead others into temptation.  Which they will be held accountable for.

Personally I think if someone puts a message board in the same place, having the same weight of influence as a spouse or a parent does re: giving bad witness, there may be other issues going on there. Imo "my experience on the message board made me reject Christ" is much lamer an explanation than "my experience in my marriage" or "my experience with my mom". The principle is the same I guess. 

35 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

Personally I think if someone puts a message board in the same place, having the same weight of influence as a spouse or a parent does re: giving bad witness, there may be other issues going on there. Imo "my experience on the message board made me reject Christ" is much lamer an explanation than "my experience in my marriage" or "my experience with my mom". The principle is the same I guess. 

I cannot sit in judgement.   I have enough to worry about in my own sinfulness and failures and my own judgement come Judgement Day......and......"David answered Gad: "I am in very serious difficulty. Let us fall by the hand of God, for He is most merciful; but let me not fall by the hand of man." (2 Samuel Chapter 24 -  http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__P8D.HTM)

I think it is near on impossible to ever walk in another person's shoes.  Another point is that no one (or thing) can make anyone do anything at all. It is a choice and decision the person makes for whatever reason and therein can be gravity or lack of it.

Reflecting on another's decision can be like the difference between sighting a snake in a glass enclosure - and having it wound around one's arm.

Certainly, as quoted previously, Jesus in His Gospel asks us to be merciful ....... James Ch2 "For the judgment is merciless to one who has not shown mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment".  I think it could be said that the whole of Scripture is the story of God's Love and His Mercy and full of dire warnings about judging others.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

17 minutes ago, BarbaraTherese said:

I cannot sit in judgement.   I have enough to worry about in my own sinfulness and failures and my own judgement come Judgement Day......and......"David answered Gad: "I am in very serious difficulty. Let us fall by the hand of God, for He is most merciful; but let me not fall by the hand of man." (2 Samuel Chapter 24 -  http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__P8D.HTM)

I think it is near on impossible to ever walk in another person's shoes.  Another point is that no one (or thing) can make anyone do anything at all. It is a choice and decision the person makes for whatever reason and therein can be gravity or lack of it.

Reflecting on another's decision can be like the difference between sighting a snake in a glass enclosure - and having it wound around one's arm.

Certainly, as quoted previously, Jesus in His Gospel asks us to be merciful ....... James Ch2 "For the judgment is merciless to one who has not shown mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment".  I think it could be said that the whole of Scripture is the story of God's Love and His Mercy and full of dire warnings about judging others.

Lady,

What's the point. Sorry but I'm frustrated. We are discussing members that allegedly left phatmass because the rottenness of this community caused them to reject Christ. There are no such people here. We do not know who they are or if they even exist. No one is judging anyone else. If a message board has the same influence in  someone's spiritual life as a spouse or parent, there are issues. <<<--- That assessment is not a moral condemnation.

Are you considering leaving phatmass and REJECTING CHRIST because your posts were edited sans your permission? I hope not? I'm really sorry that happened to you. It's weird and disturbing and a Mediator of Meh should get to the bottom of it. 

Thank you for the clarification of one matter under discussion in the thread.  I am sorry you are frustrated - it can happen in the unfolding of the days.

LOL rotfl................No, I would never, I hope and pray, reject Jesus and His Gospel, His Church, for any reason at all.  And He knows I have put up with much more from The Church as human institution than an authority on Phatmass changing a post of mine, one post that I know of anyway.   It was a less than piddling:lol4: matter in comparison to the overall in my journey to date.   It does mean, however, that I am mistrustful of Phatmass and nothing for me to get all upset about in that either........and I am not.  It was not a simple edit either and has now been changed back to what I originally posted.

One thing is for absolutely sure, I am not Catholic because of anything human whatsoever and I would think by now that it is a well known and proven fact to those close to me.  Some wonder even how I have stayed the journey and turning 73 years of age in January with an over 40yr journey or so under private vows.

If memory serves and my apologies if it does not, I came in on this thread to point out (responding to another post) that because a person might leave a Catholic discussion site for whatever reason does not mean that they are abandoning Jesus, His Gospel and His Church......pas de tout!

Heavens above:lol4:.  I guess I had better add that the post to which I responded, if memory serves again, did not imply that a person leaving a site would therefore leave Jesus and all that is His.  I just wanted to point out what I pointed out.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

5 hours ago, dairygirl4u2c said:

my hangout in the debate table is dead.... so i don't post a lot. it's a vicious cycle, people stop posting so others stop posting, and that causes even more to stop posting

is that like the inverse of the 'yo dawg, i heard you liked " meme? 

The forum might have gone into a bit of the doldrums and that can happen in forums.......and in life, but I am seeing some old members back in the forums and active again.  Good to see!  Perseverance to work through the doldrums with Prayerful Hope will reap its own rewards.  Patience for God's Will to unfold in His Time.

712-dUz7EOL._SY355_.jpg

It is not a question of passivity.  Our First Aussie Saint said "do what you can and leave the rest to God".........not "do your best" but simply what you can.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:00 AM, Anomaly said:

#1 Reason:    Because dUSt rarely posts and is minimally involved in the website.    That is the lack of leadership personality needed.  

Agree.

On 12/11/2018 at 8:36 AM, Jack4 said:

I can see your join date by placing my mouse pointer over your username. :whistle:

FWIW I'm Eastern Catholic too (Syro Malabar) - hence my avatar. 

They'll probably find out and ban you (in your new account) eventually.

Fr Faber says outright: To give scandal is a great fault, but to take scandal is a greater fault.  

The full text can be found below:

https://fatherjerabek.com/2013/10/15/on-taking-scandal/ 

Ha. One thing that’s changed since 2005 is that I use a smartphone. I never browse the web (outside work use) on a desktop, so I chuckled at the thought of a cursor on Phatmass!

PhuturePriest

I just don't come anymore because I was never properly recognized for my greatness and made a mediator of meh. :|

I mean, it couldn't have gone worse than when Hasan was a mediator, right?

Ash Wednesday
29 minutes ago, PhuturePriest said:

I just don't come anymore because I was never properly recognized for my greatness and made a mediator of meh. :|

I mean, it couldn't have gone worse than when Hasan was a mediator, right?

I don't think he ever was, was he? Though I do remember him at least being nominated. I figured the whole "not Catholic" thing would be a bit of an impediment but then again I don't make the rules...

PhuturePriest
1 minute ago, Ash Wednesday said:

I don't think he ever was, was he? Though I do remember him at least being nominated. I figured the whole "not Catholic" thing would be a bit of an impediment but then again I don't make the rules...

Oh no, he definitely was. It resulted in some pretty funny things. :P

If he were still around, I would inform His Sultanship that his accomplishments were being forgotten. He would be none too pleased.

28 minutes ago, PhuturePriest said:

Oh no, he definitely was. It resulted in some pretty funny things. :P

If he were still around, I would inform His Sultanship that his accomplishments were being forgotten. He would be none too pleased.

I miss Hasan /Hassan. He turned me vegetarian.