An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why is the Phorum Mostly Dead?

tinytherese

Glad you asked. And, considering that I came to PhatMass from a search for the first time in a year or so and decided to check what's new on the phorum, I may as well answer:

There's very little to respond to any longer and even less to ask. Some of the livelier members aren't around any longer. Pope Francis is still having a chilling effect on Catholic dialogue, in that it's becoming difficult to remain orthodox without at least appearing to criticize him -- which might confuse some non-Catholic or questioning readers. It makes it rather hard to live the "joy of the Gospel," at least in the public square, and removes a lot of the savour from the free-ranging arguments and discussions that once were had here.

The effect spirals moreover: some good posters leave and that causes others to do the same until very few are left. I don't know what the solution is, though. Perhaps we can all admit that we had some fun here, but now we're too busy leading our lives otherwise.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:50 AM, MIKolbe said:

snowflakes are white......

Snowflakes are attacking New England this afternoon

6-E2-DBC72-4226-412-A-8-D88-84-E2-E01765

Edited by little2add

I just resurrected a couple of my old threads for fun. I do miss the intellectual stimulation provided by some of the 2010 characters. I hope everyone is well. So much has changed. 

11 hours ago, Ziggamafu said:

I just resurrected a couple of my old threads for fun. I do miss the intellectual stimulation provided by some of the 2010 characters. I hope everyone is well. So much has changed. 

You should do a life update

DeoOptimoMaximo

I first discovered Phatmass  about 12 years ago when I first started seriously discerning a religious/priestly vocation.

My faith and knowledge of vocations was really deepened by being on PM and it connected me with those of similar interests. I stuck mainly with Vocation Station for that reason.  At the time there were many young women entering convents on here and a number of young men entering seminaries.  As the years went on, I visited PM less and less, for various reasons, including my own entrance into seminary, but especially because I noticed that the Vocation Station was almost exclusively female in its members, and it became difficult to find any men on here to discuss seminary and the priestly vocation, so I stopped contributing. Nevertheless, PM will always have a special place in my heart, as it helped start me on the path to the priesthood.  By the grace of God, I've been a priest now for a little over six months.

On 1/19/2019 at 11:44 PM, DeoOptimoMaximo said:

I first discovered Phatmass  about 12 years ago when I first started seriously discerning a religious/priestly vocation.

My faith and knowledge of vocations was really deepened by being on PM and it connected me with those of similar interests. I stuck mainly with Vocation Station for that reason.  At the time there were many young women entering convents on here and a number of young men entering seminaries.  As the years went on, I visited PM less and less, for various reasons, including my own entrance into seminary, but especially because I noticed that the Vocation Station was almost exclusively female in its members, and it became difficult to find any men on here to discuss seminary and the priestly vocation, so I stopped contributing. Nevertheless, PM will always have a special place in my heart, as it helped start me on the path to the priesthood.  By the grace of God, I've been a priest now for a little over six months.

That is so amesome!! How does it feel? Are you used to be called father yet? Are you father first name or father last name? And what does your mom call you??

homeschoolmom

It's nearly 30 below here, and I haven't left the house since Sunday. Thought I'd come see how the old phorum is doing. It seems as desolate as my neighborhood.

On January 30, 2019 at 9:50 AM, homeschoolmom said:

It's nearly 30 below here, and I haven't left the house since Sunday. Thought I'd come see how the old phorum is doing. It seems as desolate as my neighborhood.

I still think of you every November 11. And every 11:11. Hope you are well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 10:50 AM, homeschoolmom said:

Having moved to Wisconsin... I feel you... ohh I feel you. Also... I'm so tired of shoveling! Thankfully I have a newborn, so not going to work in the morning or having to leave my driveway is a thing right now :).

The Bus Station

Every reason for phatdeath has been mentioned (older members moving on, social media, cultural changes, etc.), but I just want to say that Phatmass has helped many many people (including me) over the years in their search for God -- if it had helped only one person that would have been enough. So I'm grateful for what the site was for me and others, regardless of its present or future; it has built up the Church in its own creepy, lame way! Thank you Dust! 

And if anyone knows what happened to T-Bone I am very listening.

PS. I am a novice at a Benedictine monastery -- pray for us!

28 minutes ago, The Bus Station said:

PS. I am a novice at a Benedictine monastery -- pray for us!

So cool ... do y'all teach or is it more strictly cloistered?

• 3 weeks later...
sacredheartandbloodofjesus

Well I got married and had two kids and another on the way ...all in the span of about 3-4 years ahaha I used to be so lit here! Always sparking debate with my radical catholic morality