An Old School Catholic Message Board

New son

Anomaly

Well, my youngest daughter’s boyfriend just talked to me about asking to marry my daughter.  I’ll be gaining a son.  My wife and I are very thrilled for my daughter!

18 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

Well, my youngest daughter’s boyfriend just talked to me about asking to marry my daughter.  I’ll be gaining a son.  My wife and I are very thrilled for my daughter!

Did he literally ask permission ? Or for a blessing?

My bf wasnt comfortable doing that but he knew I would appreciate it. So he took my parents out for breakfast and told them he planned to propose and do you have any questions. My mom said he did it very delicate like. Lol

Also how fickle crackle old are you??? I thought you were on the young side???

I’m chronologically old.  My youngest is 29. 

He talked to us.   I already knew through my wife and daughter that he wasn’t going to ask for “permission”.   This isn’t the 1950’s. 

I was happy to give my blessings and support.   He just got back from a Middle East deployment     There was talk any engagement prior, but my daughter is not one to do things because others think they should or because of financial benefits so she made it clear it will not happen until after they were apart for a year.  I know she will say yes when it happens.  

6 hours ago, Anomaly said:

I’m chronologically old.  My youngest is 29. 

He talked to us.   I already knew through my wife and daughter that he wasn’t going to ask for “permission”.   This isn’t the 1950’s. 

I was happy to give my blessings and support.   He just got back from a Middle East deployment     There was talk any engagement prior, but my daughter is not one to do things because others think they should or because of financial benefits so she made it clear it will not happen until after they were apart for a year.  I know she will say yes when it happens.  

If I were her I would have used it as an excuse for  a traditional catholic betrothal ceremony.  Sad face for me, my bf was not ready to confess the love that dareth not speak its name before his deployment. 

And I can one-up you on the opsec.  I told people he was deploying for war on terror purposes.  Middle east is too specific, loose lips sink ships DAD. You are old enough to be my father my world is rocked

My daughter is not a practicing Catholic.    There would not be a Catholic betrothal.  He isn’t, his family is, my wife is, and most of my family is.   It’s going to be complicated working things out for wedding plans.  My family can get just about anything accomplished at the parish and there are a couple of great priests.  I’m Sweden on the issue so this will be interesting.  They have to consider what his parents family desires too...

What he did there is literally  secret that he can’t discuss .   Also, being there is an extremely sensitive issue in my family as we had other family members that deployment didn’t work out well.   He’s back and has a job with Homeland   

58 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

My daughter is not a practicing Catholic.    There would not be a Catholic betrothal.  He isn’t, his family is, my wife is, and most of my family is.   It’s going to be complicated working things out for wedding plans.  My family can get just about anything accomplished at the parish and there are a couple of great priests.  I’m Sweden on the issue so this will be interesting.  They have to consider what his parents family desires too...

What he did there is literally  secret that he can’t discuss .   Also, being there is an extremely sensitive issue in my family as we had other family members that deployment didn’t work out well.   He’s back and has a job with Homeland   

Don't you mean you are "Switzerland" or "Swiss"on the issue?  Do you mean that you are neutral about Catholicism?  I'm not so sure that Sweden is a neutral country. Unless you mean you are incoherent/Incompetent [about the issue of Catholicism] like this dude:

I'm guessing it's the former.

8 hours ago, Anomaly said:

I know non Catholics miss out on lots of goodies. Although not a good enough reason to be Catholic by itself the betrothal ceremony is pretty good. I'm only half messing with you.

Interesting neither your daughter nor her soon to be fiance are practicing Catholic ... so why would they get married in the Church? Doing things cuz mommy wants it is lame... like you said it's not the 1950s. I realize this is an unpopular opinion and if they're baptized its actually required from the standpoint of Catholicism to get married in the Church. This way they have a shot at being actually married (as far as Catholicism is concerned.) So probably no one should listen to me. But Just thinking of Pope Francis. Better to be an atheist than a hypocrite. Isn't that what he said. 

The proposal will be tomorrow and family is invited to wittiness and celebrate.    Weird, but it’s what people do now a days.    I’m pleased that he feels family is that important and welcome.  

As far as a Church wedding, it’s something his family will ask about and something they should discuss.   Our parish has a pretty developed pre-marriage class that I believe is worthwhile as it’s more than a theoretical catechism class on marriage.  I’m very supportive of being committed 100% and practical ways of addressing issues.

On November 29, 2018 at 7:11 PM, Anomaly said:

Congratulations! 

Thanks.    He proposed publicly at the bar that was their first date.  His parents, my wife and I, my daughter and her husband, my in-laws, and a half dozen friends were there.  

I never experienced that before. Was pretty cool. 

7 hours ago, Anomaly said:

Thanks.    He proposed publicly at the bar that was their first date.  His parents, my wife and I, my daughter and her husband, my in-laws, and a half dozen friends were there.  

I never experienced that before. Was pretty cool. 

It's always nice when they have a plan. Did you get pictures? Post if you have permission.  Congrats on the official inlaw to be dom

Congrats Anomaly! :like2:.........indeed you are gaining a son.   God's blessings on you all.

My son asked his future (Italian) father in law for the hand of his daughter.  He had rehearsed before hand and all the way to her father's house, but when he got there, he said he got two words out and began to cry and had to cry the rest out.

Father in law gave his permission, so he then went home and proposed to his now wife on one knee with the ring.........and when she accepted..............he cried.  But he had flowers and champagne out in the garage and they celebrated as he dried his tears of joy........she had to do so too.

When they phoned me.........guess what.........yep! I cried for Joy.  We all cried for Joy.  She is a great gal and they are now into their third year of marriage.  I have indeed gained a lovely daughter - a friend and a pal.