lost_in_this_world

When will life work out?

lost_in_this_world

I recently changed jobs and moved across the country to finally get some work/life balance. I didn’t realize how much I would miss my previous job even though I was way overworked and stagnant. I attempted to get a higher position and was rejected after being with the company for 7 years, which is mostly why I left. I like where I am living now and I definitely have a much better job in terms of hours but it’s not the job I want. It’s not the title,the pay or the responsibility I want. I’m super under utilized but it’s not their fault, there just isn’t a position for me. So yes I am on the job hunt again but I am just wondering at what point my professional life and personal life balance will finally align. I’m too old to not be progressing. I thought I would enjoy an easier position but I definitely do not. I’m used to being the decision maker and now my opinion doesn’t matter. My concern is that I didn’t choose the right place to live and let others influence the decision too much. But like I said it’s not all bad so maybe I just need to give it more time. But it has been six months....

Lilllabettt
On 12/2/2018 at 7:39 PM, lost_in_this_world said:

I recently changed jobs and moved across the country to finally get some work/life balance. I didn’t realize how much I would miss my previous job even though I was way overworked and stagnant. I attempted to get a higher position and was rejected after being with the company for 7 years, which is mostly why I left. I like where I am living now and I definitely have a much better job in terms of hours but it’s not the job I want. It’s not the title,the pay or the responsibility I want. I’m super under utilized but it’s not their fault, there just isn’t a position for me. So yes I am on the job hunt again but I am just wondering at what point my professional life and personal life balance will finally align. I’m too old to not be progressing. I thought I would enjoy an easier position but I definitely do not. I’m used to being the decision maker and now my opinion doesn’t matter. My concern is that I didn’t choose the right place to live and let others influence the decision too much. But like I said it’s not all bad so maybe I just need to give it more time. But it has been six months....

The thing is ... and I hate to say this but ... life does not really "work out." I mean, it's likely there will always be something that you are dissatisfied with about life. It's kind of the human condition.

It looks like you learned something really valuable about yourself with the move - so that in and of itself is a productive use of time. If your work/life balance is better, that means you are now in a better place to devote time to discovering a better professional fit. Whereas before I bet you were trying to squeeze in a cross-country job search in between crushing work hours. Insanely hard to do and yet you did it.