An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Had a Wedding Share Your Knowledges Thread

Lilllabettt

On December 3, 2018 at 9:21 PM, Lilllabettt said:

Some people from phatmass are getting married. We should give them wedding inspo by posting pictures. Whether you got married yeseterday or 50 yrs ago ... post those pics and your advices about wedding planning or marriage. What was your best wedding planning decision? Did anything go wrong the day of? If you've been married awhile and could go back to your wedding day to tell your newlywed self some wisdom, what would it be?

I basically told my family (really, my mom) that if they weren't on board with what was happening during the ceremony/reception to either have an extremely good reason or just keep their mouths shut. My sister's first wedding was dictated by what my mom (instead of my sister) wanted and it put a huge damper on their relationship. I didn't want that to happen. I also told my family and his family that there were to be no fights or arguments during the ceremony or reception - or if there was, to take it out of my/hubby's earshot. My large family has a tendency to create/thrive off drama and I wanted to nip it in the bud. 

My mom & gramma made my wedding dress, we borrowed my FIL fancy car to drive us from church to reception, we only had one attendant each, we had our reception at FIL business. Flowers were from a grocery store with a floral department (they were wonderful and lasted forever!), cake was made my SIL (her & her mom used to do cakes as a business), I had "borrowed" decorations from the place I worked (they were to be trashed anyway as they were Valentine's decorations from year previous). The only real "professional" we hired was for photographs, and only for the ceremony. I have a very simple wedding band (that I haven't been able to wear in 3 years because I've lost so much weight) and my husband has a very simple band as well (that I had engraved). We really tried to cut corners wherever possible. 

My only regret was that we didn't have a Mass wedding. Well, and that we should have sprung for more photographs. Well and the unity sand thing. *rolls eyes*

Advice to my newlywed self? Laugh more. Let things go more. Follow your husband's advice when he tells you to relax. Hug your mom every chance you get. Know that being married won't always be easy but it doesn't "get old" if you treat your partner like you did when you first got married. My husband still thrills me. He still makes me laugh. He still makes me go "awww". He still makes me all gooshy inside. 

I wore a white and gold mantilla with a simple gold and green band around it. It got kissed off my head. He got a bit silly. I’m also wearing a pair of Nike waffle trainers. Blue ones. 

16 hours ago, CatherineM said:

I wore a white and gold mantilla with a simple gold and green band around it. It got kissed off my head. He got a bit silly. I’m also wearing a pair of Nike waffle trainers. Blue ones. 

Sneakers ftw.  I was on my feet all day in ballerina slippers. No arch support. 

Did you do something old/new borrowed/blue?

23 hours ago, Lil Red said:

I basically told my family (really, my mom) that if they weren't on board with what was happening during the ceremony/reception to either have an extremely good reason or just keep their mouths shut. My sister's first wedding was dictated by what my mom (instead of my sister) wanted and it put a huge damper on their relationship. I didn't want that to happen. I also told my family and his family that there were to be no fights or arguments during the ceremony or reception - or if there was, to take it out of my/hubby's earshot. My large family has a tendency to create/thrive off drama and I wanted to nip it in the bud. 

My mom & gramma made my wedding dress, we borrowed my FIL fancy car to drive us from church to reception, we only had one attendant each, we had our reception at FIL business. Flowers were from a grocery store with a floral department (they were wonderful and lasted forever!), cake was made my SIL (her & her mom used to do cakes as a business), I had "borrowed" decorations from the place I worked (they were to be trashed anyway as they were Valentine's decorations from year previous). The only real "professional" we hired was for photographs, and only for the ceremony. I have a very simple wedding band (that I haven't been able to wear in 3 years because I've lost so much weight) and my husband has a very simple band as well (that I had engraved). We really tried to cut corners wherever possible. 

My only regret was that we didn't have a Mass wedding. Well, and that we should have sprung for more photographs. Well and the unity sand thing. *rolls eyes*

Advice to my newlywed self? Laugh more. Let things go more. Follow your husband's advice when he tells you to relax. Hug your mom every chance you get. Know that being married won't always be easy but it doesn't "get old" if you treat your partner like you did when you first got married. My husband still thrills me. He still makes me laugh. He still makes me go "awww". He still makes me all gooshy inside. 

Did your kids shake up your unity sand thing. Or does it still have perfect layers. Just remembering myself as a kid that's the first thing I'd do if I got my hands on one of those. 

What was the ring engraved with -if it's not private?

I did the old new thing. My old was a 100 year old pendant watch, blue was the sneakers, I borrowed a coin for my shoe and the new was the dress I think. 

I’ve had rum in my hot chocolate tonight, so I’m lucky to remember my name.  

50 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

I did the old new thing. My old was a 100 year old pendant watch, blue was the sneakers, I borrowed a coin for my shoe and the new was the dress I think. 

I’ve had rum in my hot chocolate tonight, so I’m lucky to remember my name.  

Ha!!!! Thanks for reminding me about hot chocolate.  It's the little things that make life grand.

My gold leaf crown was new, my dress was old, and my rosary was blue. I realized too late nothing was borrowed, but I guess I can count my husband since I've borrowed him from the Good Lord.

On December 13, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Lilllabettt said:

Did your kids shake up your unity sand thing. Or does it still have perfect layers. Just remembering myself as a kid that's the first thing I'd do if I got my hands on one of those. 

What was the ring engraved with -if it's not private?

No, it's tucked up away somewheres. Still has most of its layers. Ring was engraved with the date of our wedding. 

I had a standard sort of small wedding (family and friends) with bridal gown, the borrowed and the blue (no bridesmaids), in St Augustine's Church, Salisbury.  It is now  listed as a heritage building and historical site.  Since my fiance was not Catholic, we did not have a Nuptial Mass.  My Mum and her friends catered for the reception in the family home.  The reception was quite an impressive decor and buffet meal.

It was all going great until my uncle, the master of ceremonies, started the toasts with a toast to the Queen......after which things got very stuffy and formal we felt.  So much so, the best man, decided not to read out the telegrams and to keep his speech reined in as much as possible

During the reception in the family home, we young ones made arrangements behind the scenes to meet later at the Dutch Club, where we all had a great time and really celebrated in style.

Old_St_Augustine_Church.jpg St Augustine's Church, Salisbury SA

Edited by BarbaraTherese