An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kavanaugh Support for Planned Parenthood May Doom Hopes of Roe v. Wade Repeal

10 hours ago, Lilllabettt said:

Hi mr so and so. Im uncultured can you tell me What is your meme from.

what they said 

"surprise surprise surprise" is a catch phrase of sorts from him...

I’m not surprised.   Kavanaugh is a strict interpreter of the law.   The rule of law is a double edged sword.   

He isn’t going to overextend a convoluted interpretation to achieve a certain outcome.   He will support fetal rights as a balance to women’s rights.  

14 hours ago, tinytherese said:

Well Trump picked him at random.

Actually he didnt. Kennedy wanted to retire and he presented Trump with a list of replacements. He said he would retire if Trump would appoint one of them. Kavanaugh was the only name on the list deemed conservative enough. 

8 hours ago, Lilllabettt said:

Actually he didnt. Kennedy wanted to retire and he presented Trump with a list of replacements. He said he would retire if Trump would appoint one of them. Kavanaugh was the only name on the list deemed conservative enough. 

Oh that is interesting. Didn't know.

On 12/12/2018 at 1:45 PM, Lilllabettt said:

Mark Shea uses prolife as a pejorative, because since the group opposing abortion power includes people who support the death penalty, or oppose gun control, or what have you - the moniker prolife is hypocritical. 

Not to derail from the thread, but are you saying you believe supporting gun rights is anti-life?  And that to oppose laws limiting the death penalty (for any reason) is anti-life?

25 minutes ago, fides' Jack said:

Not to derail from the thread, but are you saying you believe supporting gun rights is anti-life?  And that to oppose laws limiting the death penalty (for any reason) is anti-life?

I'm saying, that the term "Pro life" originally encompassed a bunch of seamless garment concerns. You can see this today, when people say things like "pro baby, pro woman". Or when people want to talk about the elderly poor at the March "for life".

That's all wonderful, but dont fetal people and their rights deserve separate billing? We don't expect people organizing on behalf of black lives matter to dedicate air time to the plight of women or the elderly poor. Their intention is to bring notice and attention to racial injustice perpetuated against black people.  No additional rationale is required. When people respond to BLM with "all lives matter" or "blue lives matter" the left points out that there is an erasure going on. We are supposed to let BLM advocate for back people without saying "what about ..."

The term "prolife" is a catch-all. It's also not ecumenical. It refers to a set of beliefs about war, torture, the death penalty, contraception, abortion etc. that are specifically Catholic and simply very rarely shared by non-Catholics anywhere in the world. Expecting everyone who supports fetal rights to also embrace a Catholic theological proposition, and attacking them as hypocrites when they dont, is pig-headed. 

So let's use the better term when advocating for fetal people and their rights. Pro-fetal rights works great. 

On December 17, 2018 at 12:50 PM, Lilllabettt said:

I'm saying, that the term "Pro life" originally encompassed a bunch of seamless garment concerns. You can see this today, when people say things like "pro baby, pro woman". Or when people want to talk about the elderly poor at the March "for life".

That's all wonderful, but dont fetal people and their rights deserve separate billing? We don't expect people organizing on behalf of black lives matter to dedicate air time to the plight of women or the elderly poor. Their intention is to bring notice and attention to racial injustice perpetuated against black people.  No additional rationale is required. When people respond to BLM with "all lives matter" or "blue lives matter" the left points out that there is an erasure going on. We are supposed to let BLM advocate for back people without saying "what about ..."

The term "prolife" is a catch-all. It's also not ecumenical. It refers to a set of beliefs about war, torture, the death penalty, contraception, abortion etc. that are specifically Catholic and simply very rarely shared by non-Catholics anywhere in the world. Expecting everyone who supports fetal rights to also embrace a Catholic theological proposition, and attacking them as hypocrites when they dont, is pig-headed. 

So let's use the better term when advocating for fetal people and their rights. Pro-fetal rights works great. 

I see what you're saying, but to be fair, I think that a lot of people say that they're both pro-baby and pro-woman because some people who are pro-choice mistakenly think that if someone says that they're against abortion that they only care about the baby and could care less what happens to the mother. So they say that they're pro-baby and pro-woman to clarify that they want to help the mother too. Not everyone understands that abortion is not the solution to the problems of women in these situations. 

I do know what you mean regarding people casually throwing  around the term "pro-life" though. Years ago, a priest at my former parish specifically told the congregation that the bishop(s) wanted priests during the month of October to give homilies on pro-life issues.

Throughout that entire month, his homilies weren't about abortion, assisted suicide, or euthanasia. He specifically told us that he wasn't going to talk about those topics, claiming that they were talked about too much. What? This was the only time he had ever spoken about the subject. Instead, he gave vague, feel-good, cheesy homilies about how cool "life" is. He's known to commit liturgical abuse, including letting lay people give homilies, and given liberal homilies about us not "judging". 

3cpAS6L.jpg

I left the parish fir another one because I couldn't stand him. (And in case anyone's wondering, I wrote to our bishop about the bull he's pulled and asked to be kept anonymous. From what I've seen and heard though, no improvement.)

On 12/17/2018 at 11:50 AM, Lilllabettt said:

This may be the case in Catholic circles, but to be honest, the only place I've seen this happening is on Phatmass.  By that I mean, the term pro-life has always strictly been about abortion.  The only place I've seen people try to muddy the term to influence views on other issues (such as the death penalty or euthanasia) is here.  (I'm sure your experience is different)

The term pro-choice came about because the left could see the benefit of using a term like pro-life.  It implies that if you are pro-abortion, you are against life.  And this is actually true.  They really, really, don't want their proponents to come to the realization that they are, in fact, anti-life in more issues than just abortion.

So the term wasn't always a catch-all.  In fact it's a very recent thing that people are trying to apply it to other issues, outside of abortion.  And I think that's actually a weapon to confuse people about what abortion really is.  You can try to come up with a new term, if you want, but all you will do is lessen the effectiveness.  To say "pro-fetal" is to engage the enemy on their ground, and when you do that, you've already lost the battle.

44 minutes ago, fides' Jack said:

This may be the case in Catholic circles, but to be honest, the only place I've seen this happening is on Phatmass.  By that I mean, the term pro-life has always strictly been about abortion.  The only place I've seen people try to muddy the term to influence views on other issues (such as the death penalty or euthanasia) is here.  (I'm sure your experience is different)

The term pro-choice came about because the left could see the benefit of using a term like pro-life.  It implies that if you are pro-abortion, you are against life.  And this is actually true.  They really, really, don't want their proponents to come to the realization that they are, in fact, anti-life in more issues than just abortion.

So the term wasn't always a catch-all.  In fact it's a very recent thing that people are trying to apply it to other issues, outside of abortion.  And I think that's actually a weapon to confuse people about what abortion really is.  You can try to come up with a new term, if you want, but all you will do is lessen the effectiveness.  To say "pro-fetal" is to engage the enemy on their ground, and when you do that, you've already lost the battle.

I think the best - and in the end only- way to engage the enemy is on their own ground. That's how you win a war, by winning on the enemy's territory.

Many people use the word fetal the way people once used "gay" - as a negative quantity.  The gay rights movement has built a ladder the abolition movement can climb. Forcing people to choose whether they support fetal rights or not precipitates a confrontation with the central moral failure standing behind Roe v wade. Very very few people on the left every confront that reality.  The phrase pro fetal rights does that nicely.

Also look up the origins of the word prolife. It did use to encompass more than abolition. 

Well, from what I understand, the issue had to do with the states not wanting to pay money to planned parenthood, but federal law required it.  So, it appears that this needs to really be addressed at the federal level.