An Old School Catholic Message Board

Australian court convicts once-powerful Vatican official on sex-abuse-related charges

"The conviction provides one of the clearest examples of how the sexual abuse scandal has eroded the church’s credibility while ensnaring figures in the upper echelons of power. Pell, who has categorically declared his innocence, had taken a leave of absence from the Vatican’s third- most-powerful position, as the economy minister, to fight the charges."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/australian-court-convicts-once-powerful-vatican-official-on-sex-abuse-related-charges/2018/12/12/da0d909c-fe20-11e8-a17e-162b712e8fc2_story.html

Edited by Guest

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/former-catholic-archbishop-philip-wilson-wins-appeal-has-conviction-overturned-20181206-p50knr.html

Archbishop Philip Wilson, former Archbishop of Adelaide, also denied any guilt and has had his concealment conviction (May 2018) overturned on appeal.

"His role in Adelaide was taken over by the Apostolic Administrator of the archdiocese, Bishop Greg O'Kelly ahead of the appointment of a new archbishop by the Vatican."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-06/philip-wilson-former-archbishop-conviction-quashed/10589198

Excerpts

Victims 'no match for legal system'

Outside court, Mr Creigh told waiting media he was "not up to talking".

Patricia Feenan, whose son Daniel was abused by Jim Fletcher, said she felt for Mr Creigh.

"I've given him a hug. He's a brave man, Daniel's a brave man and they're no match for the legal system, the appeals," she said.

"It's very disappointing, very upsetting. Why am I not surprised?"

She said Thursday was the 14th anniversary since Fletcher was found guilty of abusing her son.

"It is significant, and here we are still here," she said.

She said she hoped Father Wilson would never be reinstated as archbishop.

"I hope the public of Australia have an opinion on that," she said.

"He didn't support us in any way at all, so I don't think anyone should support him."

Steven Smith, a survivor of sexual abuse in the Anglican church, said victims continued to be "smacked down" by the legal system.

"All we've seen today is if you throw enough money at something, which the Catholic Church has done here, you'll eventually find a judge that will see things your way," he said.

"We've got the police who encourage us to come forward and speak up and we've got the judges who slap us back down again.

"Seriously, why would you bother?"

Survivors 'not going anywhere'

PHOTO: Peter Gogarty is disappointed by the court's decision and the fact that Father Wilson did not front court.

Peter Gogarty, who was abused by Fletcher, said he was extremely disappointed by the decision and that Father Wilson had not fronted up to court.

"I wonder whether … it's the exquisite discomfort that might arise for him out of looking his accusers in the eye and looking in the eyes of the people who James Patrick Fletcher abused," Mr Gogarty said.

"If the Catholic Church thinks that people like me and lots of other survivors of child abuse are going to be set back by this, then we've got news for them, because I'm not going anywhere.

"The Catholic Church has still not shown any contrition for what they've done."

Mr Gogarty said he was disappointed by the outcome personally "and [for] those people [who] have stood up to the might and the money of the Catholic Church".

"They've been deeply hurt by this decision, so I feel terrible for them."

He said Father Wilson should "absolutely not" be reinstated as archbishop and called on him to answer publicly "who knew what and when did they know it".

"Because I've got the courage of my convictions — where are you Bishop Wilson?"

Bob O'Toole, from the Clergy Abuse Network, said he thought the court decision would now make it difficult for charges to be brought against those accused of concealing chid sex abuse.

12 hours ago, Josh said:

"The conviction provides one of the clearest examples of how the sexual abuse scandal has eroded the church’s credibility while ensnaring figures in the upper echelons of power. Pell, who has categorically declared his innocence, had taken a leave of absence from the Vatican’s third- most-powerful position, as the economy minister, to fight the charges."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/australian-court-convicts-once-powerful-vatican-official-on-sex-abuse-related-charges/2018/12/12/da0d909c-fe20-11e8-a17e-162b712e8fc2_story.html

Does it say anywhere what he is found guilty of... did he cover it up or is he himself the molester? These are both disgusting but there is a distinction in degrees imo. 

Also very odd that the newspapers in Australia can't print it? You know in this country that would never fly.  

21 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

Does it say anywhere what he is found guilty of... did he cover it up or is he himself the molester? These are both disgusting but there is a distinction in degrees imo. 

Also very odd that the newspapers in Australia can't print it? You know in this country that would never fly.  

He's the molester. They can't publish until January or February. He still has to go to trial for another abuse allegation.

Last night's news said that Cardinal Pell was being admitted to hospital for a knee surgery.

"Cardinal George Pell has been admitted to hospital days after being cut from the Pope’s inner circle.

The former Archbishop of Sydney and Melbourne arrived at St Vincent’s Private Hospital in Darlinghurst for knee surgery.

He was taken into the underground carpark of the hospital in Sydney on Friday morning to avoid photographers, reports The Daily Telegraph.

It comes after he was removed from the Vatican’s inner circle of advisers by Pope Francis on Wednesday.  MORE

Haven't heard much about Archbishop Wilson since his appeal was upheld - more about that here: The Catholic Leader - 12 Dec 2018 "A JUDGE has described how Australia’s mainstream media can exert subtle pressure during court cases, as he quashed the conviction of Archbishop Philip Wilson for covering up child sexual abuse."

Edited by BarbaraTherese

The Department of Public Prosecutions has decided not to appeal the overturning of Archbishop Wilson's conviction, however the NSW government will be seeking independent legal advice.  ("The Australian" newspaper:  here)

I read a great article from CNA about the trial. There were only two days the abuse could have happened. Both those days his actions are accounted for. It supposedly happened in the sacristy after mass. That sacristy has an open floor plan and was full of people at the time. Any sacristan will tell you that the sacristy is busy after mass attending to the vestments and sacred vessels especially when there’s a new mass after. 

The boys were also supposed to be being filmed afterwards and would have been missed. The second kid denied to his death that something happened. The first trial was 10-2 for acquittal before being called a hung jury.