Sign in to follow this  
little2add

Sin of detraction

Jack4
18 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Catholic Catechism  http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a5.htm

Respect for the souls of others: scandal

2284 Scandal is an attitude or behavior which leads another to do evil. The person who gives scandal becomes his neighbor's tempter. He damages virtue and integrity; he may even draw his brother into spiritual death. Scandal is a grave offense if by deed or omission another is deliberately led into a grave offense.

2285 Scandal takes on a particular gravity by reason of the authority of those who cause it or the weakness of those who are scandalized. It prompted our Lord to utter this curse: "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened round his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea."86 Scandal is grave when given by those who by nature or office are obliged to teach and educate others. Jesus reproaches the scribes and Pharisees on this account: he likens them to wolves in sheep's clothing.87

2286 Scandal can be provoked by laws or institutions, by fashion or opinion.

Therefore, they are guilty of scandal who establish laws or social structures leading to the decline of morals and the corruption of religious practice, or to "social conditions that, intentionally or not, make Christian conduct and obedience to the Commandments difficult and practically impossible."88 This is also true of business leaders who make rules encouraging fraud, teachers who provoke their children to anger,89 or manipulators of public opinion who turn it away from moral values.

2287 Anyone who uses the power at his disposal in such a way that it leads others to do wrong becomes guilty of scandal and responsible for the evil that he has directly or indirectly encouraged. "Temptations to sin are sure to come; but woe to him by whom they come!"90

More on the same topic: 

While seduction causes another to sin, scandal offers him the occasion to sin, sometimes, too, with the express purpose of causing him to sin.

1. Unbecoming words or conduct that are an occasion for another's spiritual ruin (scandal in the proper sense) are mortal or venial sins according as they give him an occasion to sin seriously or not.

If the sin of another is intended, he who gives the scandal is guilty not only of a sin against charity, but also of a sin against the virtue of he gives occasion to violate.

It is not necessary that the sin of the other actually follow; it suffices that the action can lead to sin. It is a mortal sin, therefore, to display obscene objects in a show window or public places. There is no question of scandal if those who witness a scandalous deed are either so depraved or so good that the thing has no influence upon them. -- It is only a venial sin of scandal if the other sins gravely, but rather because of his own personal depravity than on account of some trivial occasion, which he uses as an opportunity to sin. Thus children are guilty of a venial sin of scandal if, by slight disobedience, they occasion serious cursing on the part of their parents, or if girls by their trivial vanities, or their somewhat slightly unbecoming make-up or dress give young men an occasion to sin against holy purity.

146. 2. Actions good in themselves, which have not the appearance of evil, but which, nevertheless, give others occasion to sin, need not be omitted if the omission means a great inconvenience.

It would be a great hardship, e. g., for a girl to be compelled never to use a certain convenient street because someone living thereon sins gravely at the sight of her; but it would be only a slight inconvenience for her to choose another street once in a while. It would likewise be a great hardship to be compelled to give a large alms to a beggar in order to prevent his cursing, since others would soon imitate him.

A slight inconvenience, however, would not justify one to perform such an action, e. g., to inform another that one is eating meat on Friday because of a dispensation. So, too, one would be obliged to postpone the action or perform it secretly if this can easily be done.

3. The observance of a positive law may be omitted to avoid scandal. Ordinarily, however, one is not obligated to do so.

Thus a girl may miss Mass on Sunday to avoid being an occasion of sin to some certain young man. A pastor may say Mass on Sunday without fasting provided he cannot otherwise avoid scandal. Should a group of communists attempt to participate in an ecclesiastical funeral with their red flag, the pastor should try, in a becoming way to prevent it; if his efforts are in vain he may proceed with the funeral. If, however, against his will a red pall would be placed over the coffin, the priest should not conduct the funeral in the interest of the common good, even though the deceased were entitled to an ecclesiastical burial according to C. 1239.

4. Actions which are wrong in themselves may never be done to avert scandal.

It is not lawful to deny one's faith in order to avoid giving another an occasion to ridicule it; nor may one tell a lie to prevent an outburst of anger in another.

5. Posing an occasion of sin for another is lawful for a proportionately grave reason if the action itself is either good or indifferent.

Thus parents and employers may leave money lying about in order to test the honesty of their children or employees.

6. The repartition of scandal is an obligation incumbent upon all who have scandalized others.

Jone/Adalman, Moral Theology

Anomaly

So basically, it’s not that Josh is posting bad stuff about the Church, it’s that it’s getting posted without context of why he’s posting it, or maybe evaluating how fair or accurate the criticism is. 

Constructive criticism is GOOD.  

Squashing all criticism is BAD.

Criticism may be good or bad, depending on accuracy, intent and what people do with it.  

Josh, when you post the videos without comments, people are unsure if you’re just bashing, or informing as constructive criticism.    

little2add
On 1/1/2019 at 6:18 PM, little2add said:

detraction is the sin of revealing another person's real faults to a third person without a valid reason, thereby lessening the reputation of that person.

What is the benefit of posting  these  videos, other than making a mockery of all the Catholic faithful?  

As a “third person” Catholic  has the scandal  altered the way you  practice your faith in day to day life?

I believe most Catholics are painfully aware of the situation and the need for drastic changes in the church  hierarchy to eliminate the great sins  aforementioned in this tread.   

* Immaculate Heart! Help us to conquer the menace of evil, which so easily takes root in the hearts of the people of today, and whose immeasurable effects already weigh down upon our modern world and seem to block the paths towards the future! 

BarbaraTherese
4 hours ago, little2add said:

I believe most Catholics are painfully aware of the situation and the need for drastic changes in the church  hierarchy to eliminate the great sins  aforementioned in this tread.   

* Immaculate Heart! Help us to conquer the menace of evil, which so easily takes root in the hearts of the people of today, and whose immeasurable effects already weigh down upon our modern world and seem to block the paths towards the future! 

Amen

Josh
On 1/3/2019 at 6:36 AM, Anomaly said:

So basically, it’s not that Josh is posting bad stuff about the Church

You're really invested in this for being Atheist. And when you say I'm posting "bad stuff" how can you really conclude that without watching a single video? The Remnant video I posted would be "bad". That's why I also rated Michael Matt 10/10 on the Trash Meter (under the video). So you got me there. The Remnant video is Trash.

As far as Dr. Taylor his videos aren't really that "bad". I would say they're more neutral probably leaning a little more towards negative. He's not full out bashing anyone in these videos. He's having interesting conversation in a calm tone. He was an Angelican Priest before converting. I also ranked him on the Trash Meter so you can see where I stand.

As far as the Voris videos you could conclude they're "bad" but he's doing tons of investigative work and breaking stories that a lot of the Church is trying to hide. He's finding up to date cases of pedophiles still in ministry that shouldn't be. That's why I lowered his Trash Meter rating to 6/10. He's doing good work bringing a lot of filth to the light. He was an award winning journalist in secular media before starting Church Militant.

As far as you Little 2 Add your criticism is irrelevant to me. You b**** about the video's but haven't watched them. Like I told Anomaly above some of them are very informative addressing a very real problem in the Church that is destroying victims lives and also causing Catholics to leave the faith. I remember when the Pennsylvania Grand Jury Report was released you were going on and on about how it was a conspiracy to smear the Church and attack Trump. So again your criticism means absolutely nothing to me because you're out of touch with reality. I told myself I wouldn't even address you but I caved in. Anyhow God Bless.

Edited by Josh

Josh
On 1/2/2019 at 8:40 AM, Josh said:

The videos by Taylor Marshal I posted are calm and provide facts and not gossip.

To be fair his interview with the victim from the McCarrick case ventured into some gossip from the victim. The other videos not so much. But on this video I provided quotes from viewers voicing their concerns. But the interview was important and I'm glad it happened. There was just a part 2 which I will be posting soon. These victims need to be heard. They've been silenced for too long.

little2add

Immaculate Heart! Help us to conquer the menace of evil, which so easily takes root in the hearts of the people of today, and whose immeasurable effects already weigh down upon our modern world and seem to block the paths towards the future! 

Edited by little2add

little2add
On 1/5/2019 at 1:04 PM, Josh said:

a conspiracy to smear the Church

It is!

must you harp on the scandals,  so relentlessly ?   

In your eyes is there anything, anything at all, that is positive about the leaders of Catholic faith ?

Your arguments are based time third-party sources and are all negative.  

Are you familiar with the apostles creed ?

B95-AC7-AB-A654-4-EAA-869-B-0-E456026-F2

BarbaraTherese

Troll

He engages in the interview just enough to get the other person to argue.From there, he fishes for anything that can nudge the argument into some kind of car wreck that everyone can gawk at, generating lots of views and publicity.

He isn't interested in learning anything about the movie, or getting any insight, however fleeting, into this celebrity and how they approached acting or directing. Those are perfunctory concerns, quickly discarded on the way to their true goal: generating controversy, the more the better.

If you really care about a topic, you should want to learn as much as you can about it, to understand its boundaries, and the endless perspectives and details that make up any interesting topic. Heck, I don't even want anyone to change your mind. But you do have to demonstrate to us that you are at least somewhat willing to entertain other people's perspectives, and potentially evolve your position on the topic to a more nuanced, complex one over time.

In other words, are you here in good faith?

Josh
5 hours ago, little2add said:

It is!

must you harp on the scandals,  so relentlessly ?   

In your eyes is there anything, anything at all, that is positive about the leaders of Catholic faith ?

Your arguments are based time third-party sources and are all negative.  

"It is" 

It's all a conspiracy to smear the Church. Right......Again you live in a fanasty world because you can't deal with reality.

Is there anything positive about the leaders of the Catholic Faith? 

Well not every single person is corrupt. But that's the exception and not the rule at this point.

2 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Troll

He engages in the interview just enough to get the other person to argue.From there, he fishes for anything that can nudge the argument into some kind of car wreck that everyone can gawk at, generating lots of views and publicity.

He isn't interested in learning anything about the movie, or getting any insight, however fleeting, into this celebrity and how they approached acting or directing. Those are perfunctory concerns, quickly discarded on the way to their true goal: generating controversy, the more the better.

If you really care about a topic, you should want to learn as much as you can about it, to understand its boundaries, and the endless perspectives and details that make up any interesting topic. Heck, I don't even want anyone to change your mind. But you do have to demonstrate to us that you are at least somewhat willing to entertain other people's perspectives, and potentially evolve your position on the topic to a more nuanced, complex one over time.

In other words, are you here in good faith?

I'm not a troll for posting stories from the news of sexual abuse in the Catholic Church and the cover-up of it. Or posting videos from members of the faith addressing the crisis.

Also I'm not a troll becuase I don't see things like you do and accept the excuses you make to try to make these problems go away. We don't agree. It's as simple as that. I have family who may not raise their kids Catholic because they can't trust the Catholic Church to do the right things with something they shouldn't have to think twice about. This angers me and these are the issues I'm going to post about until it's resolved. 

Edited by Josh

BarbaraTherese
1 minute ago, Josh said:

Is there anything positive about the leaders of the Catholic Faith? 

Well not every single person is corrupt. But that's the exception and not the rule at this point.

Surely you are not stating that corruption of any kind in Catholic clergy is in the majority, that most Catholic priests and hierarchy are engaged in some kind of corruption including sexual corruption?

From your threads that do swamp Phatmass it would seem so and it would seem you believe that it is so, but it is a false reporting of the majority of Catholic priests and clergy who are committed and faithful servants in The Church free of any kind of corruption.  https://www.patheos.com/blogs/geneveith/2018/09/what-percentage-of-catholic-priests-have-been-abusive/

Are you seeking the truth in the situation?

Josh

I'm talking about the cover-ups all the way up to the Popes to prevent justice and to hide facts. I'm talking about the hierarchy that allowed McCarrick to become Cardinal and be in charge of the sexual abuse crisis. I could keep going on but I'm going to eat.

Edited by Josh