An Old School Catholic Message Board

Responding to the scandal.........

BarbTherese

https://testeverythingblog.com/lessons-from-history-how-to-respond-to-scandal-in-the-church-bb75a3943732

Excerpt: " because my faith is not in the part of the Church that is of the world.

My faith is not in my pastor or my bishop. My faith is not in Cardinal McCarrick or Cardinal Viganò.

My faith is not in Pope Francis.

My faith is in the Triune God. My faith is in the Communion of Saints.

My faith is in the grace dispensed by God through his unworthy servants on earth.

My faith is in the part of the Church that God sees when he looks at her and calls her his bride.

“To whom would we go? You have the words of eternal life” (Jn 6:68).

What has been revealed re the abuse scandal in The Church along with the coverups has made me feel quite literally nauseated.  I do not know even if more is to come, perhaps much more.  I am angry and confused not only by the abusers and those that covered up crimes among our hierarchy for one, but for the victims probably most of all.  I feel helpless in it all.  How on earth in a practical sense can I bring justice to the situation, and how can such as I be of practical help to those who have been abused?

My Faith, my trust, is invested in Jesus and in His Promise to remain with His Church until the end of time; to be my strength in my very real weaknesses. "“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians Chapter 12

My nausea, anger and confusion, my helplessness are emotions I need to work through given time.  That struggle will be perhaps the main part of my fight, rather than taking any kind of flight from The Church, which would be to run from Jesus and at a time when He most needs us to stand with Him.  He has promised to stay with us until the end of time and if I run from Him and His Church then I am, by implication, negating His Promise, stating it is a lie.  To take flight and run would be calling into question very much that He has said.

Jesus is, from The Gospels, a remarkable human being and a man of great human passion, well has our Jesus, Man of Passion most fearfully stated:

“It is inevitable that stumbling blocks will come, but woe to the one through whom they come! 2It would be better for him to have a millstone hung around his neck and to be thrown into the sea than to cause one of these little ones to stumble." Luke Chapter 17

Edited by BarbaraTherese