An Old School Catholic Message Board

Avoiding Bitterness About Scandals

tinytherese

On the other thread, @Peace and I are still disagreeing, but not over slavery. He tried to understand what I meant, and the slavery debate was over there. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 9:57 PM, Jack4 said:

Depends on what you mean by slavery. 

I’m late to this party but I need you to give me an example where any form of slavery is ok. 

1 hour ago, Oremoose said:

I’m late to this party but I need you to give me an example where any form of slavery is ok. 

In most societies in which slavery existed, it was a temporary condition that people entered into more or less voluntarily, for example, if they owed a huge debt that they couldn't pay back, they might agree to become slaves for a period of 10 years on the condition that at the end of the 10 years, the debt will be forgiven. It was not an inherited condition that passed from father to son for generations, slaves had the ability to purchase their freedom and they had legal rights if their masters abused or mistreated them, the law held that the contract was void and the slave was freed. Only prisoners of war were ever made slaves against their will.

Moreover, in most societies, slaves are considered to be almost like members of the family, it was not unusual in ancient Rome for slaves offered their freedom to refuse to accept it and continue serving the same family, they did this voluntarily because there were genuine bonds of warmth and affection between master and slave, it was a lifestyle to which they had grown accustomed.

Involuntary, race-based chattel slavery that existed as an inherited condition from one generation to the next and from which one could never escape is definitely wrong, but it is also something that has never existed anywhere else except the antebellum south.'

Sometimes, people guilty of minor crimes are given punishment in the form of 'community service'. Prisoners are made to do jobs like making chapatis. These are not entirely voluntary, but imposed from outside.  What do you think of these cases? Or hired servants who clean the house, cook food, etc? This was what slavery was in most places.

@Oremoose The post just above yours links to a thread in which this matter had been discussed already, to the point where @Peace agreed with me.

What I quote above is from the DP thread. It's the third time I'm saying the same thing.