An Old School Catholic Message Board

This is HOT

BarbTherese

On Thursday it will be 113.9F here in Adelaide Sth Aust, and could go higher.  Now that is HOT !!! :shocking:  Thank The Lord my new air conditioner has been installed - I am going to need it.  Deo Gratius.......and to my two brothers.

Amazing isn't it!   I hope you will be able to keep warm.  I am ok here with my new air conditioner.

It could go to 114.8 here and our electricity supply is unreliable but praying it will hold out.  Saw an interview on TV last night with an elderly lady who lived through a few days around 113.9 some 80 years ago here in South Australia.  She said "air conditioner" and "fan" were unknown words to people back then, let alone available heat relief.  She was a child and survived by getting under her bed with wet towels on her.  So we aint got it all that bad here today -  and I have a bed and plenty towels if things go wrong!

My fear today for the elderly is that with our electricity costs so high, the elderly might try to save costs by either not putting their AC on at all - or not putting it low enough to give them relief.  Our public hospitals are already under major stress due to heat related admissions.  Prayer.

Friday (tomorrow), we go down to 90.5F max. very thankfully.  The heatwave will be heading over to our next door state, Victoria.

I don't mind the heat of summer here, but today was overboard !  It has been the hottest day on record for any capital city in Australia.

The hottest place in our state was Port Augusta, some 189 miles from Adelaide.  Port Augusta hit 121.1F today.

A cold change will be coming through at midnight tonight.  It is 5.46pm on 24th January 2019 here.

(Commentary on the news here this afternoon was that sometimes the elderly don't know how to switch their air conditioner on - and some can even inadvertently put the AC on heat)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

It doesn’t get that hot. in Florida, but 95 with 90% humidity, it can kill elderly.  

Drink plenty of fluids, stay out of sun, let air circulation help cool the area, and don’t exert yourself. 

Last weekend we had a 40 degree drop in temperature from morning to night, make that about 55 degrees if you count wind chill. A lot of people caught out and about with not enough layers on!

I made it through ok and the cool change came overnight as forecasted.  However, my next door neighbour who is 80 years old and not in good health did not weather the heat at all and yesterday afternoon I had to bring her over to my place in the refrigerated air conditioning and later had to call an ambulance.  She is ok this morning and back home from hospital.  It all got too much for her and her air conditioning failed.  At some point when she feels up to it, she will come over here and I will see what can be done for her to get her adequate air conditioning, not portable evaporative which is useless in our Aussie heat when it really gets high and February is traditionally our hottest month and still ahead of us.

We do have excellent welfare assistance for the elderly here in South Australia and I am hoping to be able to arrange a wall refrigerated air conditioner at a cost she can afford.

My next door neighbour's carer is back on deck today and Sunday thankfully.  I went over to her place yesterday to check on Jessie, her dog, and her interior was truly like an oven.  Thankfully I had one of those dog cooling pads for Jessie.  This morning, both my neighbour and Jessie were ok.

The lowest it gets here during our colder months in the day is around 60.8F but most commonly it is higher during the daytime hours.

It will be 89.6F today.