An Old School Catholic Message Board

Being mean on the internet

Lilllabettt

Deeply sobering words from Bishop Barron.

Hes talking about the maga/indian thing. But it applies in all areas. 

How much of what I've said on the internet is just making me satan's plaything? When I make a point in a debate am I doing it for love or really just to win, scapegoat,  or "get" that person.  

I am troubled. Lord write straight with my crooked lines.

1 hour ago, Lilllabettt said:

Deeply sobering words from Bishop Barron.

Hes talking about the maga/indian thing. But it applies in all areas. 

How much of what I've said on the internet is just making me satan's plaything? When I make a point in a debate am I doing it for love or really just to win, scapegoat,  or "get" that person.  

I am troubled. Lord write straight with my crooked lines.

Yeah. I wonder if I should get off the web myself. It does not really seem to bring out the best in me, but perhaps I can change that.

The article was very good. I'm a try to reflect on it.

21 minutes ago, Peace said:

Yeah. I wonder if I should get off the web myself. It does not really seem to bring out the best in me, but perhaps I can change that.

The article was very good. I'm a try to reflect on it.

I say, dont leave the web to heathens.  We just have to convert that's all. 

Ash Wednesday

This is a great article.

I get that wearing Trump's red hat is going to bring a lot of anger out in people. I'm somewhat detached as I no longer live in the U.S. but I understand the anger that is felt when you see someone that has a different political viewpoint than you. Some hard Brexiters and the derisive remarks they make about immigrants over here in the U.K. make my blood boil. But they are still people. With families. With lives. I would never single someone out over politics and try to name and shame them as racists and evil people when I know absolutely nothing about them. It's a serious thing to try to set out and ruin someone's life, and that's what the internet can do.

The way the masses on social media have been going in on this school and everyone associated with this school is creepy. I've even seen priests who had nothing to do with this linked and implicated. And whatever righteous anger people think they are feeling -- doxxing people, bullying them, shaming them -- is not going to make things any better and it's not going to change their minds. Usually people like this tend to double down, if anything. The whole back and forth situation is only made worse.

The only way we can start to change the world is with ourselves. It's the only thing we have control over.

“When you’re about to make a comment, ask yourself a very simple question: “Am I doing this out of love, out of a sincere wish for the good of the person or persons I’m addressing?” If not, shut up. If it becomes clear that your comment is simply spleen-venting, scapegoating, or virtue-signalling, shut up. The internet can be a marvelous tool, and it can be a weapon used for Satanic purposes. Applying the test of love can very effectively undermine the scapegoating mechanism and drive the devil out.”

On 1/22/2019 at 8:16 PM, Lilllabettt said:

How much of what I've said on the internet is just making me satan's plaything?

A lot. You were wildin out sometimes.

As for me? Nope, never :whistle: