An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gov. Cuomo, Cardinal Dolan Spar Over New York Abortion Law Amid Bishops’ Calls For Excommunication

Ash Wednesday

9 hours ago, little2add said:

I believe it’s very obvious that he doesn’t care  about the threat of excommunication .

The Catholic Church doesn’t need to abandon ( excommunicate) Cuomo, as Cuomo has already abandon the Catholic Church by his words and actions.  

I don't think excommunication is abandonment.  I think doing nothing except maybe softly wringing ones hands it abandoning both Cuomo and other Catholics to a narrative of false mercy in which nothing is done, babies are killed, and souls are lost.

9 hours ago, Jack4 said:

They aren't really "automatic".

Dr Peters does think that LS excommunications are not a good idea (though he also knows that it is the law now). 

Dr Peters argues that the canons against abortion don't work against Cuomo.

He also says that "excommunication will make Cuomo a martyr", etc are not good arguments against his excommunication.

Bro. It might be good for you to practice some independent thought without consulting Peters or Feser.

13 hours ago, Peace said:

Bro. It might be good for you to practice some independent thought without consulting Peters or Feser.

I quote those who say the same point I want to make but do it more clearly. I used my independent thought to judge Peters and Feser to be right. I think it is more important to be right than to have come up with idiocy independently. 

22 hours ago, KnightofChrist said:

An emperor of Rome was excommunicated for signing an order to kill innocent people.

There is not much difference with Cuomo. Dr. Peter's logic does not seem right to me. If being directly involved in the legalization of mass murder cannot lead to an excommunication then what is the point.

Ed Condon, a Canon lawer makes the case that Cuomo can and should be excommunicated.

https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2019/01/excommunicate-cuomo

Dr Peters has responded to Condon in his blog and I've already linked to it. 

Now, faithful of the Latin Church can be excommunicated only under the 1983 CIC.

4 hours ago, Jack4 said:

I quote those who say the same point I want to make but do it more clearly. I used my independent thought to judge Peters and Feser to be right. I think it is more important to be right than to have come up with idiocy independently. 

Have you ever disagreed with them?

KnightofChrist

Dr Peter's is normally very solid, and a trustworthy source, normally. In this case, for me, his position smells funny and I have my doubts. 

3 hours ago, Peace said:

Have you ever disagreed with them?

Not yet. I haven't read everything they've written, and my knowledge of their fields (Canon law and philosophy) is limited. FWIW I've disagreed with other traditionalist bloggers. 

Lawyer, Theological Masters, studied Canon Law. 

I am so torn. I did my pastoral theology thesis on the pastoral care of pro-choice politicians. I want them gone, but I don’t think we need to make pro-choice martyrs. I think it needs to be handled pastorally not publicly. 

There’s probably lots of people receiving communion who shouldn’t due to mortal sin. It’s above my pay grade.