An Old School Catholic Message Board

What are Catholic women looking for in a religious community of Sisters?

Kathleen777

For those discerning religious life, Catholic women of all ages, please tell us what you are looking for in a religious community today? 

"Catholic women of all ages"

Hmmm...LOVE the question!! However, my very first thought goes to this- We all know that (more or less) 90% of female religious communities advertise for "Young Ladies/women discerning the religious life" USUALLY have a age limit requirement of 35'ish. 

And to cover myself..I will also acknowledge-

Yes, they say "EXCEPTIONS" might be made, depending on the community.

So....at this point of my MATURE life, answering your question is a mute point! :*(

Edited by nikita92
Spelled a word wrong

Perhaps this will be good news for you, nikita92, but it is not the case that most communities today have an age limit of 35. Perhaps many of the more traditional communities do (not all), but the majority of communities are open to women at least up to age 40, and many are open to women older than that. 

To Kathleen777: I think there are so many answers to this question! As a former consultant to the National Sisters Vocation Conference, the survey research they did (and current research by NRVC and CARA) suggests a huge range of reasons, expectations, etc. I think this is one reason that there are so many congregations--not everyone is looking for the same things, and so there are communities with varying emphases, spiritualities, and charisms, not to mention lifestyles.

One thing I am looking for is emotional and spiritual maturity in at least some community members, definitely in the leadership. I want those sisters to be aware of their emotional stirrings, know themselves enough to understand and accept them - and then be able to act not necessarily according to them, but according to their values and what they recognize as the will of God. This influences all decisions that are made in a community, and for me it would be a necessity in most (if not all) sisters I would be obedient to. I consider it a good sign of this if members of a community can have different (to some degree) theological or political positions, talk about them, and still enjoy living and workig together.

Just an example: Kathleen, you are (according to another post) foundress and superior of a new community for women of mature age, but you do not mention that in this post. If I would enquire at your community (impossible with current US immigration policy), I might for example ask you why you didn't mention that. And I would hope for an answer that wouldn't say "I just didn't feel like it", but something that would show me that you know how you feel about it and then decided this way because you believe it is better for everyone - you and the readers. I have to admit that I'm a bit overstretching this little example here, I hope it gives an idea of what I'm talking about.

• 4 weeks later...

There is not, and never has been, a single answer to this question. :D

Still, though I have no desire to live in community again (I'm a solitary - made vows in 1982, though I had been a Franciscan Sister), I do notice a lack in much material about religious life. Where is there a solid concept of a theology of consecrated life? Sisters have excellent areas of service - but one need not have even religious beliefs to do the same. Sisters often are big promoters against the oppression of women... others go on and on about a close community life - but what distinguishes those in vowed life?

Were I seeking religious life in community today (I'm a senior, and am not), the first area I'd want to explore was how the congregation saw their vowed life as a value to the Church.